1/16 scale scratch built AT-38B Talon-The Smurf jet is back!

This is the plan for the rest of the major structural parts. All of these parts will be converted to 2d prints and will include templates for wing, stab and tail skins. Photos speak best so without further adieu:

snapshot20100224132252.jpg

snapshot20100224132332.jpg

snapshot20100224132404.jpg

snapshot20100224132445.jpg

snapshot20100224132529.jpg

snapshot20100224132559.jpg

snapshot20100224132637.jpg

snapshot20100224132729.jpg

Timmy!

Firstly, a very warm and big welcome to both Pete and Timmy to LSP :lol:

I love your work so far Pete - I have made many vacform master patterns in this fashion - Yours is just all the more impressive because of it's scale! Tell me, will the finished pattern be for a male or female mould?

Timmy, I remember your Bronco - That was also an amazing bit of scratch building. The T-38 is one of those aircraft I have always liked, and would like to make in 1/32 scale one of these days. Your CAD work is simply amazing!

Best regards

Derek

Pete - I have made many vacform master patterns in this fashion - Yours is just all the more impressive because of it's scale! Tell me, will the finished pattern be for a male or female mould?

Best regards

Derek

Hi Derek-Thanks for the kind words. These fuselage halves are for male pattern moulding.

Regards,

Pete

Please, what software are you using?

Stephen

I'm using a combination of Rhino and Vectorworks. The 3d capabilities are better with Rhino (3d shots are Rhino) and Vectorworks has better 2d output ( 2d image is Vectorworks).

Timmy!

Hello again,

It has come to my attention that some of you may not be familiar with the AT-38B, so here is a picture. This is the aircraft that I flew after graduating pilot training prior to going off to F-16 school. This was the Lead In Fighter trainer (LIFT) for those newly-minted pilots destined for fighters to learn the basic dance steps of air to air and air to ground employment. we affectionatly refered to this jet as the "Smurf" due to its unique camoflage:

0303756.jpg

I started on this project several years ago, and got somewhat down the road...but decided to start all over again as my previous attempt simply had too many shape issues. Here's a look at the previous work that has been abandoned to start over-

100_4999.jpg

Since I checked in last, I've begun the process of covering the new master in Bondo and sanding it back. It looks pretty rough right now, but when I get it shaped out I'll post some images of that...soon.

Thanks for looking!

Pete

Timmy: What package are you using? Rhino, Max....what?

According to post #22:

I'm using a combination of Rhino and Vectorworks. The 3d capabilities are better with Rhino (3d shots are Rhino) and Vectorworks has better 2d output ( 2d image is Vectorworks).

Timmy!

Hello again!

I've got a bit of progress to show- I've been busy covering the right side of the fuselage with Bondo and then sanding it back. I learned a few things...like sand the Bondo within about 30 minutes of applying it. If you wait 3 days like I did, you'll be sanding stone!

At any rate, the right side still needs some dressing out. There are some curves to the fuselage that I havent revealed yet with the sanding. The goal is to sand just to the bulkheads and longerons and stop. Pin holes and sinkholes will all get filled too. There are 2 "cones" on the jet-one forward of the windscreen and one on the belly between the intakes- that will be revealed once I have tacked both halves of the master together. Heres a look:

SDC11500.jpg

SDC11501.jpg

SDC11502.jpg

SDC11503.jpg

SDC11504.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pig