Hobby Boss F-4F

Probably, as it's posted in non-LSP works and both companies make an F4F in that scale.

Could be a re-pop, but then again the ways to tool the same vehicle aren't too different. A lot of kits follow a very similar parts breakdown.

Hobby Boss has not done an F4F (Wildcat, not Phantom) in 1/32 scale - Hobbycraft however did release the Trumpeter F4F-4, P-38, F-105D and I believe also one of their F4U kits in Hobbycraft boxes back in the day. Those boxings came out around the same time as the original Trumpeter releases IIRC

Edited my original post and yes the Wildcat is what I am referring to.  Both the Tamiya and Hobby Boss build identically from what I can tell. Both have detailed cockpits and engines/landing gear separate from the fuselage.

Oh we're talking 1/48? I'd put money on reverse engineered copies, not a legitimate copy of the kit. Hobby Boss did the same with the Revell Rafale

OK, so how do you do a "legitimate copy" of someone else's kit without "reverse-engineering" it?

Scalemates doesn't seem to think the 2 kits are formally related.

They have the 1994 Tamiya kit standing alone in that kit's timeline.

And then the Hobby Boss F4-F4 is a 2007 changed parts iteration of the original 2007 F4-F3 kit.

If the 2 kits seem identical I guess it's because Hobby Boss copied the Tamiya kit.