F4U-5N, Guy Bordellon, Korea 1953 FINISHED

blackbetty

as seen here. now the fit is better. cut down trumpy flaps to get an idea of placement of these. the -7 (as the AU-1) had the exhaust located further down as the -5, so i will have to grind a recess (black marked) and fill the lower cutouts

pretty flimsy at the moment, but i think i can make it work

38339995854_faa42f6433_k.jpg07 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

Edited by blackbetty

i will see how the ducting of the eyhaust is routed. i have pics of Bordellons plane that show some kind of square tubing around the exhaust pipes. good that its hard to see it :ph34r:

i filled the cutouts with superglue and micropearls, then ground the new recesses

i have a lot of more doubts about the cheek intakes. i only have one chance with the resin, if i mess up i´m screwed. i tried to vacform the cowl, but its too deep

24189655327_4335d25b11_k.jpg08 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

I had thought about making a 5N conversion but I was going to modify the kit cowl with Milliput or Apoxie Sculpt.

Draw an outline of the side scoops on a piece of white plastic. When you have the shape you like cut it out, make a duplicate. Glue the new scoop patterns onto the kit cowl and build up with plastic and putty until you have faired in chin scoops. Create the intake cavities for the new sculpted scoops as the epoxy putty is drying with sculpting tools, toothpicks etc.

Paul

what on earth is a "tri prism retro reflector" ?

"For night-fighter gunnery training purposes the F4U-5N had three retro-reflector devices (trihedral prisms): one on the upper surfaces of each wing tip and a third located on the tail cone. The prisms were used in conjunction with a light projector and the gun camera of the pursuing aircraft."

"For night-fighter gunnery training purposes the F4U-5N had three retro-reflector devices (trihedral prisms): one on the upper surfaces of each wing tip and a third located on the tail cone. The prisms were used in conjunction with a light projector and the gun camera of the pursuing aircraft."

That makes sense. Googling for "tri prism retro reflector" brings up lots of stuff about devices that reflect light back in the direction it came from. Thank you

Richard

worked on the cowling and the cheek intakes. located them first (not easy) and drilled holes that i made into slits

27374294189_bd9adc46f9_h.jpg08a by karl holubar, auf Flickr

then i formed the bumps with miliput. used water and various sharp and round objects to get it in the ballpark. after drying over night some sanding and grinding with the dremel took me near the final shape. first coat of a guidecoat here

25286506678_2c48ca2ea0_b.jpg09 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

27374293829_4bdc180e83_b.jpg10 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

still have to work on the shape though

Edited by blackbetty