my very 1st entry

docdodj01

Hey guys, this is going to be my 1st group build entry. I'll be building the trumpeter wildcat OOB except markings which will be a O'Hare wildcat either F-13 or F-15. After that if there's still time, i'll build saburo sakai's zero and pug southerland's dash 4 wildcat during their duel over guadalcanal. :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks erwin. it's really frustrating sometimes to post these pics. anyways, for a written report on the progress, i found out the real problem why the trump wildcat has fit problems: the FIREWALL. yup, i believe there was a build or two that noted the same problem. just fix the fire wall and everything seems to click into place. i sanded of a millimeter or two in the area where the problem seemed to be found. also, i re-aligned it to make it straight, kinda like rodney william's build. i promise i'll post some pictures as soon as iv'e figured out how to work this. :)

post-1287-1176953267.jpg

ok, so this image shows what I modified. If you look a other builds of the wildcat, the firewall attaches to a slot. the problem is that it puts everything in the wrong place. i followed rodney william's fix for this although what i did was sand off some of the area and add new markers where i'll attach the bulkhead

I've already attached the wing to the fuselage

post-1287-1177472872.jpg

A big point in construction:it is easier to get a dihedral on the wing if you attach it 1st to the fuselage, before closing up the body.

post-1287-1177472947.jpg

post-1287-1177473001.jpg

i used a small amount of super glue to temporarily attach the wing, then used thin plastic cement. when the cement reacts to the plastic it softens it and what i do is push in the wing. this "welds" it together and at the same time acts like applying putty as small beads of softened plastic is pushed out of the seam. You can then sand these of using fine grit sandpaper, which preserves the surrounding detail. B)

post-1287-1177473059.jpg

Another look at the wing fuselage join

post-1287-1177473403.jpg

cockpit was also built during the last few days.

post-1287-1177473305.jpg

I've added a scratchbuilt fuel tank underneath the cockpit. I kinda though that if someone looked up under the windows in the lower fuse, they'd see the tank, like the real wildcat was

post-1287-1177473351.jpg