Not another Mustang!

Hi Guys,

Another small change. I was going to fit the engine as it supports the exhausts and the prop but it's a dog to align neatly.

The QuickBoost exhausts haven't arrived yet but I think I can mount them by boxing the rear of the fuselage slot with plasticard.  As for the propeller, some thick plastic behind the nose with a hole drilled thru, a bit of brass tube, you get the idea. And  I've just found some brass tube that fits snugly inside the prop recess.

28120466368_6021ce9978_c.jpgChoices by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Per Ardua etc!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Some minor updates:

The plastic fitting that's going to replace the surplus to requirements engine.

41274189624_ba5e32465c_c.jpgSupport by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And rooting thru a Tamiya Mustang kit I realised the early type seat was on the sprues! Gift horse, etc! Still need to add the etched piece at the back of the seat pan.

41284239964_8ef970f703_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

A very easy mod so it fits properly, some belts, easy peasy.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

A small parcel from Hannants yesterday with the Aires Wheel Wells and QuickBoost exhausts enclosed.

I immediately attacked the wing interiors with God Hand, scalpel and sanders  and tore out the moulded in "detail" and here's my test fit of the resin to plastic.

42018068201_2628e04e28_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Then it was the turn of the QuickBoost exhausts. I ended up supergluing them to the top lip of the cowl cut outs, real quick and dirty I know.

41975634542_a74f48bfe4_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And here's the taped together model, complete with background mess.

41119832135_237ec8214e_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

I'm just hoping the finished model will be worth all the time filling and sanding the wings.  Not sure about that yet!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Bruce, that's a project and a half, nice to see a B for a change. Built several D's but never a B. Wonder if Tamiya would ever come out with a B.........wishing I had more benchtime, hitting follow now, looking forward to the next update.....

Hi Guys,

It seems like I've been working on this model for ages but it's only just over a week. Admittedly, two whole days filling and sanding the wings and cutting the underwing ejection ports. Won't ever get those days back! Not quite soul destroying but near enough.

What it has done is make me appreciate the other kits in my stash. There are another four D kits in the pile, 2 Tamiya, 1 each Zoukei-Mura and Revell. They are ALL far nicer than this Trumpeter B, so there's a big hole in the market waiting to be filled.

Having said that, I'm still glad I opened the box and started it. When I pull my finger out and start painting it should look good. I'll be doing my own markings, already drawn the stars'n'bars on my computer ready to drag into the Silhouette cutter and I've just got back from the Gloucester IPMS Model Show with a pile of MMP paint, mainly their new Japanese WWII aircraft colours but also their Sea Blue FS 35042 which should be OK for the blue markings. Also got my hands on some Tamiya paint brushes, not cheap but they look good. Having avoided Japanese paint brushes for years as they don't initially seem to be any good, I was pleasantly surprised by the Zoukei-Mura ones and hope these are similar.

All I have to do is get motivated to modify a few things in the cockpit and paint it, then I can put the fuselage together. However, I've decided to have a day off from modelling so that's it for today.

Now lunch and coffee!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Guest Maxim

Nice progress so far and the wings look much better. Good to see someone brave enough to try the Trumpeter B.

Hi Guys,

Sometimes I just don't understand the way Trumpeter works.  They've got great moulding skills but their research is sometimes puzzling.  Some models are really well made, others are so-so and this one is at best so-so.  Some areas are just crazy.  Like the latches on the ammo hatches, here they are etched brass to be glued to the panels.  As a result they stand proud whereas they should be flush, really stupid on a super flush finish laminar flow wing.

28206479158_45c8ef4935_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Here are the gun and ammo access panels put in place on the wing.  There was a certain amount of filing and scraping to get the hatches to sit properly.

28206478678_2e13419ffa_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Montex masks in place on the clear parts:

42078592321_9b50be82d6_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Still sticking bits together and here's some more pics of the A frame behind the pilot's seat.

Adding strips and drilling lightening holes

28227034448_18b4606234_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Fixed in position

42055490102_9cb4e1d955_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Fuselage halves together to check fit and attitude.  Looks about right to me.

28227027898_bb0191f9fc_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Now to add the fuel gauge positions on the floor.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Yesterday it was out with the airbrush and throw some paint at the Mustang interior.  All paint was MMP, mainly their take on Yellow Zinc Chromate and US Interior Green.

Aires wheel well insert:

40325923560_a28e3640ae_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Cockpit interior.  The colour is washed out in this photo.

41242739875_d988239d2c_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The IP is plastic with a central insert of etched brass and dial detail from a printed film.  It's not fully assembled yet as I need to spray the back of the dials with white so they show properly.

41232117725_faccebc611_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Lots of bits were sprayed, transparent parts had their frames painted with black primer, likewise the u/c legs.

28271355408_c78b05c576_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Lots more detail painting needed on the side consoles and I've got to start with the seat belts sooner or later.  Used Fine Molds on the last few builds but maybe HGW here?

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

First off a big Thank You to John B for his kind words last night, they were much appreciated.

I had a slow morning but eventually moved my posterior, wound up the airbrush and sprayed some white on the rear face of the IP insert.  So here's the panel so far:

27276005967_c5d71f4cf4_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Next task is to get the Aires undercart box superglued to the lower wing then maybe think about shoving the wing pieces together.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby