de Havilland Sea Hornet NF Mk 21

OK - after a loooong delay - and given that a few other projects are being spat out of the model bench hangar - I'm on the Sea Hornet (and Hornet!).

Been prepping the fuselages on both kits - and working out a plan of attack - to include some subtle correction work to the nose area and wing inner sections - amongst others.

Photos at the weekend - or it didn't happen, right?  ;)

Iain

I have heard this before....

Things I have discovered #1 - now the fuselages have been prepped it appears that HpH have corrected the front screen/upper nose positioning on the Sea Hornet - as positioning the Hornet and Sea Hornet halves together with each other, that on the Hornet is higher.

This means this is one area I won't have to address on the Sea Hornet.

Iain

OK - some photos of where we're at - this will be a slow build as I have other projects in parallel - but aim to get something done each week. Won't be as detailed as Peter's amazing build - but will be making some corrections.

Moulding stubbs/flashed over areas removed and the mating surfaces prepped like a vacform - dressed off on a sheet of flat wet and dry:

IMG_7811_zpsnwnglpkt.jpg

IMG_7812_zps1ovezyn7.jpg

Comparison with the single-seat Hornet fuselage - you can see that the area below the windshield is lower compared to the same area on the single-seater:

IMG_7815_zpsvlz96hnq.jpg

IMG_7816_zpsdpedwt78.jpg

IMG_7818_zpsphsvxwtn.jpg

IMG_7819_zpsax6ogl5t.jpg

And the two Sea Hornet fuselage halves offered up:

IMG_7820_zpskqmioxkb.jpg

Now - do I run a separate thread for the Hornet, which is being built in parallel, or include here?

Iain

Good to see HPH apparently took-on the accuracy remarks on the first kit, and reworked the front for the Sea Hornet.

It's got to be a British idiosyncrasy to take a beautiful airframe and graft it some appendages that turn it into an ugly duckling ;)

Good work on this one. Will follow with interest :popcorn:

Hubert

• 2 years later...