Hasegawa Emil

I've had this kit in the stash for a long time. I bought it at a swap meet many years ago for about $10 AU, but it was missing its decal sheet. I've been collecting after market bits and pieces for it for a few months now, scrounging off eBay, swap meets and LSP members. Here's the set:

post-3071-1203113459.jpg

From top left to bottom right the AM items are:

- Squadron vac canopy (this includes the section of the fuselage forward of the windscreen that is purportedly misshapen in the kit);

- True Details resin cockpit set (no idea how this rates, but it's gotta be better than the Hasegawa one...);

- Eduard Exterior PE set;

- Eduard Interior PE set;

- Moskit exhausts (pricey but what the heck!);

- Cutting Edge resin wheel well set;

- Eagle Strike BoB decal sheet.

I've never really used much after market stuff before, so this one will be a real challenge for me, and I may yet prove to have bitten off more than I can chew.

Stay tuned!

Kev

Good on ya Mate!

The only warning with PE is to make sure you're doing things in the right order. I've often gotten to a point when I realized I was two steps too late to use that bit of PE I wanted. Other than that, it's a bit addictive! Once you see how nice the details can be enhanced you want it for all your kits...

Welcome to the GB!

Thanks Dave. Being a relative PE newbie, I don't have any of those PE helper tools (bending & folding tools), so I may need to acquire one for this project. Radu's unit looks the best value for money, so I'll have to see if I can squeeze it into the budget. It all looks reasonably daunting to me... :unsure:

Kev

Hi Kev.

The whole thing looks pretty intense! I'm sure it will look impressive once you've finished with it.

I don't know much about PE or Resin but I can certainly vouch for the Eagle Strike Decals, They're darn good!

Thanks Keith. It should make for a good contrast with my DIY approach to the Zero. I'm beginning to doubt that 6 months is long enough though! Thanks for confirming the Eagle Strike decals for me too.

Charlie Metz was kind enough to confirm for me that the rear fuselage on this kit is too short - can anyone confirm where and by how much? I'd like to make that correction while I'm at it, and the only scale plans I can find so far are the 1/72 set by Granger in the Aerodata book.

Kev

Kev, The Hase Emil builds into a nice bird, errors and all. I backdated one into an E-1 some time ago, and used alot of the stuff you have. Are you going to do a BoB bird? I saw the decals, but they're sort of universal. Last, Are you going to do an early, mid, or late BoB bird??

My only suggestion would be build, fit, build ,fit ETC. The 'pit on Emil is very tight indeed! The German pilots what flew Spittys thought the 'pit very roomy by comparison.

post-1501-1203190306.jpg

Kev,

The fuselage has the right length, but the proportions seem not quite right.

for what it is worth, skizze (sketch) 6 of the attachment illustrates the problem. It comes from an article evaluating the scale fidelity of all available Bf 109E kits back in the seventies. The dotted lines are from the Hasegawa kit.

Hope it helps

Hans

Thanks Hans. That diagram makes things appear more complicated than I bargained for. I'll have to consider my options, and perhaps leaving the fuselage alone is the best one.

Mike: the Eagle Strike sheet I have is 'Battle of Britain Luftwaffe Aces Pt.1', so I'm locked in there. I haven't decided which option I'm doing yet, but the two more interesting options require some scary-looking mottling...

Kev

post-1501-1203190306.jpg

Kev,

The fuselage has the right length, but the proportions seem not quite right.

for what it is worth, skizze (sketch) 6 of the attachment illustrates the problem. It comes from an article evaluating the scale fidelity of all available Bf 109E kits back in the seventies. The dotted lines are from the Hasegawa kit.

Hope it helps

Hans

Hans;

Which kit is shown in skizze 5 outline?

Kev, I'm not sure what you mean by 'scary looking mottling" Ussually just a coat of 65 under, that has been run up the sides a ways, and then one or both upper cammo colors haphazardly sprayed on, in a random pattern. You might practice on the inside of the fuse to get the feel for it. The times I've done the mottleing thing, I always remembered Shep Paines general rule: Just when you think you need to add a little more STOP! I think that in your shoes(what size?) I' d just build it, since Eduard should be releaseing a cool new one by Christmas. There might even be some piccies of mine around here somewhere...

Kev, I'm not sure what you mean by 'scary looking mottling" Ussually just a coat of 65 under, that has been run up the sides a ways, and then one or both upper cammo colors haphazardly sprayed on, in a random pattern. You might practice on the inside of the fuse to get the feel for it. The times I've done the mottleing thing, I always remembered Shep Paines general rule: Just when you think you need to add a little more STOP! I think that in your shoes(what size?) I' d just build it, since Eduard should be releaseing a cool new one by Christmas. There might even be some piccies of mine around here somewhere...

Thanks Mike, but you're placing way too much confidence in my airbrushing skills! Still, the third option is just greens over 65 and looks a little boring compared to the other two options on the sheet, so I'll probably be giving the mottling a go. I've got a problem with my compressor that prevents me spraying much below 20 PSI, so that limits what I can accomplish a little bit.

I doubt I'll be able to afford the Eduard kit when it comes out, so this is it for me! I know if you add the cost of all the after market stuff you could argue that I've already paid for it, but the truth is it took me months to accumulate that stuff in dribs and drabs, paying way less than retail for each of them. There's no way I could have paid for it all at once! That's just life when you're modelling on a budget.

Still debating the fuselage thing...

Kev

Kev,

Perhaps someone here on LSP has a Matchbox kit of the Emil she or he wants to part with for little no cost. It has good outlines, but the panel lines are too wide and deep and take a lot of hard work to fix. I speak from experience :rolleyes:

Hans

Kev,

Perhaps someone here on LSP has a Matchbox kit of the Emil she or he wants to part with for little no cost. It has good outlines, but the panel lines are too wide and deep and take a lot of hard work to fix. I speak from experience :unsure:

Hans

I'd be more than happy to build the Matchbox kit Hans, if I could get hold of one for a reasonable amount. In fact, I've always wanted to build one! I remember when they were first released. Oddly, they go for way too much on eBay here. I often wondered why Revell never re-released it, as it seems at least as popular as the Hasegawa kit. In the Osprey modelling book, Brett Green deals with the panel lines by riveting the entire model as a way of taking the eye away from them, and the result is quite effective.

I guess I better get on to actually building the thing soon. :rolleyes:

Kev

I bought 2 Matchbox Emils a few months ago for about £10 total. These came from the US, and postage to the UK was only about £4 as the kits are very lightweight. You can still get some bargains and sellers who sell worldwide.

Jim