Wespengeschwader Bf 110C

LSP_K2

Great choice and....Phew! My intentions are still safe. You had me scared there for a bit! :lol:  I was looking into doing a BoB participant with the three small wasps flying over the cloud.

The battered whitewash finish should look cool when completed. Are you sure about the spinners, though? Could that photo just have some white balance or exposure issues? Hard to say for sure, but the capped spinners wouldn't be out of the question either, I guess. It seems that Cs were often retrofitted with a lot of later features. :shrug:

Again, I'm very much looking forward to your build!

John

Are you sure about the spinners, though? Could that photo just have some white balance or exposure issues? Hard to say for sure, but the capped spinners wouldn't be out of the question either, I guess. It seems that Cs were often retrofitted with a lot of later features. :shrug:

John

Nope, I'm not sure about anything at this point. I just finished going through this Revi special (in my opinion, a very handy reference), and saw nothing to indicate the use of a capped spinner on the C, D or E, so I'm thinking like you, it may be the spinner from an F or G, (or a Photoshopped picture).

I'm also guessing that the spinner colors are black green/yellow/white, back to front. I assume the fuselage band is yellow, and it appears the same to me as the central spinner band. I've seen at least two artsy representations of this plane, and both are different from each other, as well as different from this photo, so perhaps there's room for some "artistic license".

Kevin,

I have some of John Vasco's references and quite a few photos saved. It would seem that some E models had a spinner that was "capped", as I would call it, and shorter/more pointed than those found on the F and G. Think along the lines of the Bf 109E-4 or E-7. Very similar.

As for the color, I'll dig some more through what I have, but the one thing that sticks out from the photo you posted, is that the main color of the spinner (and the fuselage band) does not seem to match the wasp, which we know to be yellow. I guess it's not impossible that it is a different shade of yellow (or applied/weathered differently), but that would give me a moment of pause, at least. :hmmm:

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Kevin, really looking forward to your build. Great choice of scheme. I built the nightfighter version of this kit and thought it was great. Yes there are some glitches in the instructions, but that info is out there.

Jay 

Thanks, Jay. I already bookmarked the 110 that Ron built, as well as a few others, plus someone (I don't recall who), sent me an errata sheet for the kit.

Another of life's little mysteries; while scrolling through this Kagero book, I discovered this interpretation of the same airframe, referring to it as an E-1. Several features are called out the same as I had interpreted, but not quite all. No extra armor on the windscreen, and open spinners. Everything else seems to check though. I'm not quite sure I agree with the plan view interpretation, the jury is still out on that one, though it may well be pretty close. I'll keep digging.

Kag2_zps8d2d80ee.jpg

The "E" had a rectangular cockpit heating air intake for on the nose, between the MG 17's, it is easy to tell apart from earlier versions. Also the Pitot tube was moved to the leading edge of the starboard wing, and the rudder trims were enlarged.

Edited by FlorinM

that 3 view is a c, the e and d's had the scoop on the nose between the MG's along with the extra armor.

Now the discussion of C's with ETC wing racks gets sticky. Check the Vasco book to be certain.

I shall, Shawn. I'm in the process of going through all the dedicated 110 references I have, making notations in a spread sheet for future reference. My biggest problem seems to be that I'm working on the model at the same time I'm reviewing the references, and am probably overlooking certain key issues that will help me get this as correct as I can, though a little fudging is OK by me; for instance, I may elect to keep the wing racks, regardless.