Curious to know what colors will be for the lighter Harrier II+. The more I investigate the more I m confused. 

Stalal,

Welcome to the Forums!

The Lighter two tone aircraft like the one in my signiture were Medium Gray FS 35237 and Gunship Gray FS 36118. Both of the fuselage colors were faded by the time they repainted, so add either white or 36375 to the colors to fade them to match photos. Interior of wheel wells/gear doors and landing gear structures, intakes all gloss white although the intakes tend to appear more of an off white extremely pale tan after a few weeks on deployment, and the gloss on all the parts tends to go more satin at best to flat if used in a land based desert environment.

Originally, they were actually 3 colors. 36118 on the top, 36231 on the sides to the lower fuselage parts ( not including a chunk under the wings) and 36320 on the bottom. By the time they have been at sea or in a combat area they are basically what I said first, they appear two tones, smudged and overpainted in high traffic areas. Painting it either way will give you a pretty accurate looking lighter two tone harrier II.

Paul 

Stalal,

Welcome to the Forums!

The Lighter two tone aircraft like the one in my signiture were Medium Gray FS 35237 and Gunship Gray FS 36118. Both of the fuselage colors were faded by the time they repainted, so add either white or 36375 to the colors to fade them to match photos. Interior of wheel wells/gear doors and landing gear structures, intakes all gloss white although the intakes tend to appear more of an off white extremely pale tan after a few weeks on deployment, and the gloss on all the parts tends to go more satin at best to flat if used in a land based desert environment.

Paul 

Thank you for the great help. Its my first post here but I have been coming to this forum off and on. I mostly build 1/48 scale.  :)

The Lighter two tone aircraft like the one in my signiture were Medium Gray FS 35237 and Gunship Gray FS 36118. Both of the fuselage colors were faded by the time they repainted, so add either white or 36375 to the colors to fade them to match photos. 

Originally, they were actually 3 colors. 36118 on the top, 36231 on the sides to the lower fuselage parts ( not including a chunk under the wings) and 36320 on the bottom. By the time they have been at sea or in a combat area they are basically what I said first, they appear two tones, smudged and overpainted in high traffic areas. Painting it either way will give you a pretty accurate looking lighter two tone harrier II.

Paul 

What will be the colors of pylons and drop tanks? 

What will be the colors of pylons and drop tanks? 

Hello again Stalal, the pylons would be the lightest bottom color roughly matching the aircraft depending on how you paint it, drop tanks as well.  The leading edges of the pylons could also have 36118 just at the leading edges, check your references for the A/C and time period your modeling.  

For example Airliners.net has tons of great color pics of Harrier IIs from thier entrance into USMC service to todays all but retired aircraft.

Paul 

And so it begins!

A lot of things have been written about the Harrier series of kits from Trumpeter, and to be honest, a lot of folks have either been scared away from the kit because of a few minor shape issues and the somewhat negative reviews that came out just after its release, and you dont see a ton of them built as a result.

The good news is that most of what needs to be "fixed" can be done so without a huge drama post condemning the kit and curse words flying across one's model bench onto the internet.

Yes, this will require modeling skill, not just aftermarket, but anybody who has worked with plastic, putty and glue a while should be able to do this. I hope to show that with a bit of work, This can be a really great model.

I have spent the better part of 3 weeks in my spare time collecting references, reading build logs all over the internet and watching video of the real aircraft from as many angles as I can. I dont know why, but doing this programs my mind to look for things that are not correct as far as the lines of the "model" aircraft when dry fitting, assembling and painting. It also helps to know that LSP'rs are around and lots of you like to help, so If I'm missing something I will ask for help, count on it!  :)

I will be using the following : 

Trumpeter kit  02286 Harrier II +

Aires cockpit set  2171

Aires wheel bays 2116

Eduard photo etch for the exterior 32262

Wolfpack models corrected Air scoops 32061

I will possibly still pick up a vinyl det cord for the canopy and still need some decals. 

So far I've opened all of the boxes, the kit is fine some of the Aires is broken already, not hard to fix but I wish they would work on their packaging some times. I am currently cleaning up the cockpit resin since that's where I will start.

Here is a pic of the whole lot, I just got the Harrier in a trade this morning!  Thanks again to Jan and Ernst  :)

attachicon.gifAV8Bplus.JPG

More as soon as I have something to show,

Paul 

Lets Fly! 

Paul,

I know it has been a few months since you started this thread & I don't know where you are with your decal search since I didn't read every post. I purchased the last sheet for VMA-231 Ace of Spades from Phoenix Models (Taiwan) on ebay & they are very nice! They currently have decals for VMA-311 & VMA-223 both in the older three shade gray scheme & the newer Gunship Gray camo. As a bonus you get steel AOA probes. As you can see they make some very extensive markings for many different jets from the squadrons listed but they are not low cost. You really get what you pay for, though. I received my decals from Taiwan in less than two weeks. You may already be aware of these guys & if you are please disregard this post. Perhaps someone else would be interested in these decals. I have no association with the seller. Ebay seller is moon03tw .

Regards,

Masterguns

Edited by MGySgt0372

Paul, great start and great to see you tackle this project.

Marcel

Thank You Marcel!  I am currently working on the AV8B II and II+  resin conversion parts to correct the issues with either 1/32 kit.

AMS Resin will cast and sell them as soon as I'm done, but going has been slow going since I'm also building an HPH Helldiver build review and trying to find a full time job. Having said that, I think the model Harrier community will be pleased with what we come up with for new correction parts and I really want to get this into production by christmas 2016.

Thank you for checking into the build,  I guess this is my signal to "step it up"   :piliot:

Paul

Paul,

I know it has been a few months since you started this thread & I don't know where you are with your decal search since I didn't read every post. I purchased the last sheet for VMA-231 Ace of Spades from Phoenix Models (Taiwan) on ebay & they are very nice! They currently have decals for VMA-311 & VMA-223 both in the older three shade gray scheme & the newer Gunship Gray camo. As a bonus you get steel AOA probes. As you can see they make some very extensive markings for many different jets from the squadrons listed but they are not low cost. You really get what you pay for, though. I received my decals from Taiwan in less than two weeks. You may already be aware of these guys & if you are please disregard this post. Perhaps someone else would be interested in these decals. I have no association with the seller. Ebay seller is moon03tw .

Regards,

Masterguns

Hiya Gunny!  I appreciate ALL input  :)  I have seen all of the available decals in the flesh and I agree Phoenix's work is exemplary , however as you say it's fairly expensive and they are OOP. What I am hoping for is that one of the decal manufacturers will want to step up with me and produce new decals once they see what I have produced for corrections and how easy the sets will be easy to use.

Shoot me a PM some time and we can talk Harrier stuff if you'd like?  :)

Thanks for checking out my build, it really is still being worked on!  :)

Paul

Hiya Gunny!  I appreciate ALL input  :)  I have seen all of the available decals in the flesh and I agree Phoenix's work is exemplary , however as you say it's fairly expensive and they are OOP. What I am hoping for is that one of the decal manufacturers will want to step up with me and produce new decals once they see what I have produced for corrections and how easy the sets will be easy to use.

Shoot me a PM some time and we can talk Harrier stuff if you'd like?  :)

Thanks for checking out my build, it really is still being worked on!  :)

Paul

Also, have you checked out CH Aero's VMA-211 Wake Island Avengers decals? One is a color CO bird & the other option is a gunship gray line bird. 

http://www.candhaerominiatures.com/catalog/AVHarrier.htm

All the Best,

Masterguns

Edited by MGySgt0372

Thank You Marcel! I am currently working on the AV8B II and II+ resin conversion parts to correct the issues with either 1/32 kit.

AMS Resin will cast and sell them as soon as I'm done, but going has been slow going since I'm also building an HPH Helldiver build review and trying to find a full time job. Having said that, I think the model Harrier community will be pleased with what we come up with for new correction parts and I really want to get this into production by christmas 2016.

Thank you for checking into the build, I guess this is my signal to "step it up" :piliot:

Paul

I'd be very interested in an update set. Sign me up!