Eduard 1:32 109E-4 - Wilhelm Balthasar

Iain

That's a good tip which never would have occurred to me otherwise - I use a black sharpie myself to shade small areas which won't necessarily receive paint but might be visible on the inside of an opening once the model's buttoned up. It's quicker and less hassle than painting the area black, usually.

Darren

Useful things permanent markers!  :)

And, in breaking news, Hptm. Wilhelm Balthasar's E-4 Werk Nummer 1559, III./JG3, based at Desvres/France in August 1940 it is...

Have an old Eagle Strike decal sheet - but was getting conflicting info on the camouflage - now covered off as best I can.

Review of the sheet here.

post-260-0-59075800-1457444998_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-25412500-1457445014_thumb.jpg

Iain

I've been using a permanent black marker around the edges of canopies for years - and mentioned it - but nobody has ever really picked up on it.

I run around all the edges of the transparency. Works very well where you're bonding glazing to glazing - such as the nose sections of the Revell He111.

Iain

Thanks Iain, I'll try it.  I've used a red one on models before, gives a nice straight edge on gear bays, doors, airbrakes etc in the USN Gull grey over White scheme.

It's a really nice kit Dennis - I'd put mine off because I'd heard of issues with cowlings, the slat depth and slight bulging in the fuselage behind the 'pit - but, to be fair they've all been really easy fixes/improvements.

Just masking canopies now...

Really unfortunate that a few minor issues and the release of the Dragon kit will, undoubtedly, have impacted sales for Eduard - which is a pity as a lot of care and love has gone into these kits and they could have been the vanguard of further 1:32 releases. Sadly it looks like they've entrenched themselves back into 1:48 and 1:72 for new kits.

Iain

Perhaps that's the case for my prosecution Matt - spending too much time on forums and picking up on a preference for the Dragon kit?  :hmmm:

OK - so started Sat evening, a few hours Sunday, Monday eve and this evening - and we're here:

Area behind canopy flattened a little using sanding sticks:

post-260-0-88318800-1457465302_thumb.jpg

Canopy and openings masked up - should get a coat of Halfords spray auto primer on this evening so it can harden overnight:

post-260-0-19429900-1457465324_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-31105200-1457465338_thumb.jpg

Back soon...  :frantic:

Iain

Canopy primer - RLM02 - check...

Overall rattle can grey primer - check...

Cooking off in the airing cupboard now - then a session with medium Micromesh - then maybe, just maybe the yellow nose before bed (white primer then Gunze MrHobby RLM04 yellow).

Not wishing to tempt fate - but may have her done in a week at this rate!  :)

Iain

I hadn't picked up on this bulge behind the 'pit...?

Have to look closer when the conversion gets dragged back out into the sunlight... The only thing I really hate on this kit is the supercharger intake. If you're going OOB I reckon some detail painting will work well (i.e. adding detail in paint that isn't really there on the part)...

Just sprayed up a 1/144 109F in 78/79 desert camo.... like bloomin' brain surgery...! Nice looking though...

Matt

Once seen, it cannot be unseen - if you know what I mean!  :)

Think the supercharger intake can be made to look OK - we'll see

Everything else look OK Matt?  I'm no 109 expert...

I really couldn't cope with 1:144 - I'm straining my eyes up enough on some of the 1:32 details!!!!

Iain

Last for tonight...

Primer polished back and a few faults found which have been filled with medium viscosity super glue - under nose joint and small sections where I added sheet to thin the slot openings in the wings.

A few mins to fix (you can see the thin beads of superglue in the photos) - then I recon yellow nose so that can all harden off ready for masking and light blue tomorrow...

post-260-0-22240100-1457476346_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-67941600-1457476329_thumb.jpg

post-260-0-23497400-1457476361_thumb.jpg

Happy model building!  :)

Iain

I got most of mine for £15 (so roughly Aus $28) and they keep cropping up from time to time at these prices. 

Wonder what postage to Austraila would be...  :hmmm:

Iain