1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

evening folks :)

been away a bit lately, but have got a little done in the last few days :)

first, thanks to the direction to the aircorps librarary reference to all the external markings on drawing 106-00010 I have finally finished the decal sheet (well except for Don Lopez's name & kills marking but I need to find the right font..)

WIP176_zpsvcr6dbom.jpg

and I started to make up the fuselage structures - you can see here in a pic Denzil from Aircorps kindly provided all the internal formers & stations along the cockpit walls - these I have made in PE and they are designed to sit in some 'U' shaped brass channel which acts as the main fuselage longerons top & bottom they all slot into..

WIP189_zpsapq1utbq.jpg

..I started with a simple first pair (station 89.75) - each of these is a full thickness PE part, laminated with a more detailed one, and now I am adding the strip that runs along the internal edge to make them look like pressed parts...

WIP177_zps7d7s6mvp.jpg

..each of the parts of station 104 is more substantial, these are a core but laminated both sides, plus another lower laminate for the strengthening plate - seen here with the brass longeron & some strip ali..

WIP178_zpsws50fa9b.jpg

..station 104 is actually two sets of formers joined together so here is each half of the left side with some brass spacers..

WIP179_zpsxn5cmwfv.jpg

..and assembled..

WIP181_zpsopwdxnvn.jpg

..the right hand fuselage side of station 104 is the spare lamp storage which has a little hatch, so the base of the hatch is in PE and the hatch cover will be added later after painting - sprue was threaded through holes to make the bigger bolts at the bottom (these still need cleaning up)...

WIP180_zpstgbvkwjw.jpg

..and assembled..

the PE panel has cross head screws in the artwork and it is testament to PPD's quality that I can actually see them with my opti-visor :)

WIP182_zps5gmnwox0.jpg

..another bit of PE was made for one of the mounts for a cockpit component - it starts life flat, and again the PE artwork takes the drawings and just adds in each elevation so you end up with what it would look like unfolded flat..

WIP183_zpsgzn76h4u.jpg

..quite dificult to fold as it has folds on all four sides - this was the best I could do..

WIP184_zpsi1b8mrwj.jpg

..so the first parts start to take shape..

WIP185_zpsezy16rah.jpg

WIP186_zpsb6klygtp.jpg

..and this is sort of how they will go to make up the cockpit sides..

WIP188_zps3daurpld.jpg

WIP187_zpsshzbcjba.jpg

..thats all for now - a LONG way to go :)

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

As always - brilliant work to the highest level.

Enjoying your craftsmanship and looking forward to each update.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

evening ladies :)

Peter, I know it's poor form, but may I ask how much it costs to get all these custom PE sheets and decals made for one project? It's inspirational, but the cost scares me!

Not poor form at all Tim - I want everyone to know whats involved so they might try it themselves. The sheet I had made was 40cm by 20cm so massive in comparison to a fret for say a 1/32 aircraft - this one was £92 GBP including VAT and shipping. Compared to the hundreds of hours it would take to fashion the parts, and the precision I could never achieve it is superb value to me. The decals are a bit different as I tack them onto airscale orders, so the downside is I get lots of copies (minimum order is 25 A4 sheets), but it is money I would be spending on stock anyway so its fine for me even though a little wasteful. A sheet like this could probably be done another way on ALPs or something - I am sure I have seen one-off services available or discussed on here somewhere...

so a little bit more news on the P51..

I started with the map case - this is just some PE parts with plastic strip to build the body..

WIP190_zpsnsqzeft1.jpg

..then another layer was added and the small flap & latch made..

WIP191_zpszg8fdbf7.jpg

..and all assembled..

WIP192_zpsustifd7q.jpg

..no idea what this is, but it is a PE face with shaped card to give body and a dremelled slot where the depression is. The knob is a watch gear with its teeth ground off in the dremel..

WIP193_zpsos6mi2vn.jpg

..the throttle quadrant was next - here I am building up a kit of PE parts for it - the main body in the centre has been folded, including the rounded strip at the top which was part of the single part just bent over and rounded to shape..

..the PE levers are derived from parts plans so are dimensionally correct and allow for the bends yet to come..

WIP194_zps5uyfsalq.jpg

..the throttle lever has a big silver ball as the handle, so I found a bit of plug chain and drilled it to accept the R/T switch and a tiny hole to accept a pin on the top of the lever..(I had to grind this in as I made the PE a circle the size of the ball so I knew the size of it..)..

WIP195_zpsoea1wvbw.jpg

..a brass spigot was used as a core to assemble all the levers & parts - blobs of CA were used to add the little ball shapes on the ends of the other two levers..

WIP196_zps2udousjp.jpg

also the main body had a little assembly added to the front which is some sort of adjuster..

WIP197_zpshjspxknh.jpg

..and the completed assembly - I part cut through the central spigot before assembly so I can just snap the completed quadrant away when the time comes..

WIP199_zpssy8ibuwh.jpg

WIP198_zpsieuuaqcl.jpg

..still millions more to go, but a little kit of parts is coming together...

WIP200_zpsdxfn50cm.jpg

..thats all for now :)

TTFN

Peter