1/32 BF 109 G6/FW-190 D9 Resin Cockpit/Engine Recommendations

ringleheim

The Aires full set pictured above, will have issues. After all, you're butchering chunks off of the base kit and replacing with big chunks of resin.

Aires' 190D and similar 109G  sets can be made to look fantastic - do a google search or even search LSP's archives.

I agree with those who say the MDC 'pits are good. Vincent is a master at making masters and he pays a lot of attention to the details. They fit as the original parts. MDC also do a DB 605, just the engine, I recall Vincent was mastering a whole engine bay (which would have been something to behold) but it never reached fruition :(.

Eduard's resin for the Revell G-6 is nice, though Revell's pit is pretty good and I would just scratch the missing elements.

Eagle Parts' parts are very nice... pretty pricey unless you find them at a show or eBay. Their props, cowl corrections intakes etc for the Hasegawa 190 and 109 are very useful.

My recommendation if you don't want hassle, but want a good looking 'pit at a reasonable price is to go MDC.

Matt

The Aires full set pictured above, will have issues. After all, you're butchering chunks off of the base kit and replacing with big chunks of resin.

Aires' 190D and similar 109G  sets can be made to look fantastic - do a google search or even search LSP's archives.

I agree with those who say the MDC 'pits are good. Vincent is a master at making masters and he pays a lot of attention to the details. They fit as the original parts. MDC also do a DB 605, just the engine, I recall Vincent was mastering a whole engine bay (which would have been something to behold) but it never reached fruition :(.

Eduard's resin for the Revell G-6 is nice, though Revell's pit is pretty good and I would just scratch the missing elements.

Eagle Parts' parts are very nice... pretty pricey unless you find them at a show or eBay. Their props, cowl corrections intakes etc for the Hasegawa 190 and 109 are very useful.

My recommendation if you don't want hassle, but want a good looking 'pit at a reasonable price is to go MDC.

Matt

Thanks for the detailed analysis, Matt.

That Aires engine set for the FW-190D is calling my name, though I realize it's not going to go smoothly.  Someone must have figured out how to get it together though.

Between this thread and the thread going lately about which BF-109 is the best, I have a Dragon Bf-109E3 on order and ready to be delivered tomorrow!  

We'll see if I can get that one together and if I can conquer all the fiddly photo etch aileron attachments and what not! 

I had a hard time getting the MDC 190D-9 cockpit to fit.  It didn't help that the rear cockpit sill was undersized due to shrinkage and badly warped and it cracked when I tried to flatten it.  I ended up binning the sill and cockpit tub but using the rest of the MDC components.

IMG_0787_zpsquqvdcjs.jpg

IMG_1191_zpsfb4boq5s.jpg

IMG_1194_zpsghyzhrgj.jpg

For my second Dora build, I opted to go with the Eagle Editions cockpit.  I grafted the kit's rear cockpit sill onto the resin cockpit but used all of the other resin bits so I considered this one more successful than the MDC pit.  I also think the level of detail on the Eagle set is a tad higher than the MDC set, IMO.

ElrJL9i.jpg

zObntmQ.jpg

3nsJFaa.jpg

SSIB2dm.jpg

View into the cockpit is limited even with the canopy slid open so you may want to take that into consideration.

IMG_0278.jpg

Based on my experience, I would recommend the Eagle cockpit set for the D-9 over the MDC.  In the US, the Eagle cockpit will be a little cheaper than the MDC.

I had a hard time getting the MDC 190D-9 cockpit to fit.  It didn't help that the rear cockpit sill was undersized due to shrinkage and badly warped and it cracked when I tried to flatten it.  I ended up binning the sill and cockpit tub but using the rest of the MDC components.

IMG_0787_zpsquqvdcjs.jpg

IMG_1191_zpsfb4boq5s.jpg

IMG_1194_zpsghyzhrgj.jpg

For my second Dora build, I opted to go with the Eagle Editions cockpit.  I grafted the kit's rear cockpit sill onto the resin cockpit but used all of the other resin bits so I considered this one more successful than the MDC pit.  I also think the level of detail on the Eagle set is a tad higher than the MDC set, IMO.

ElrJL9i.jpg

zObntmQ.jpg

3nsJFaa.jpg

SSIB2dm.jpg

View into the cockpit is limited even with the canopy slid open so you may want to take that into consideration.

IMG_0278.jpg

Based on my experience, I would recommend the Eagle cockpit set for the D-9 over the MDC.  In the US, the Eagle cockpit will be a little cheaper than the MDC.

Your cockpits look great in these photos. 

Thanks for the info and comparison.

Thanks Thierry!  I was told to use hot water to soften the resin and gently bend it back to shape, which didn't work out very well for me.  The piece was also undersized due to shrinkage so straightening wouldn't have solved all of the issues of the MDC set.

I do like that Eagle resin 'pit. Especially as they (uniquely as far as I know) have depicted the canopy track slots going all the way to the windscreen - very prototypical and adds to the realism of that area. It also illustrates how all other representations have had to compromise here.