2018 World Cup

ringleheim

I can respect that!

I don't have any particular NFL team I like, and don't really follow rugby or "futbol" but I do have a home state college football team I've followed since my late father had the games on the radio when I was in his workshop watching him build R/C planes. They have gone through a LOT of major changes lately so as a result have not been great for many years....

so I know all about having to have loyalty!

Yep, watch every year. Aus & France on Saturday night Aus time.That'll be a tough game for us.

I used to be a big fan but I won't be watching this year.

Corporate branding and the corruption in bidding process and FIFA generally. I lament for the players but I think the competition is ostensibly a money making exercise that is largely exploitative.

I think it's fairly disgraceful for our National Team to not be known as the SoccerRoos but rather the Caltex SoccerRoos.

Increasingly I'm reverting to more amateur forms of sport where Pierre de Coubertins values can be upheld.

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer...one too many ball tampering, doping story.

Matty

Guest Maxim

Matt, agree 100% FIFA have a lot to answer for. Caltex SoccerRoos! What a load of horse shite that is. Grass roots sport is where it's at these days.

Being French, I have to support France, but then there is also my new home country, Portugal (a pity I can't stand the overblown ego of their top player, Cristiano Ronaldo - mind you, how can you avoid that when you have an international airport (Funchal, in Madeira) named after you, when you are not even 30 :doh: ? PS edit :just read that CR just got condemned in Spain for tax evasion : 18.8 million € fine, and 2 years of prison (sentences up to 2 years of prison are never implemented apparently in Spain) . This is going to add some spice to the Spain-Portugal match :))

And then « football is a game played by two 11-blokes teams, and in the end Germany wins » :) ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Don't be too enamoured of amateur sport Matt. I played club cricket for 20+ years and I (and every other seamer I played with) tampered with the ball to some extent. When everything is rigged in favour of the batsmen, the bowlers will always find ways to respond by fair means or foul. The Aussie test team only got caught by being moronic. Even at club level you wouldn't be daft enough to sandpaper the ball. More so when there are TV cameras watching everything.

The world cup is one of the few occasions where I watch some football. I never know the players and my friends have to tell me who's who :D Of course I'd like to see 'our' team (Germany) to do well, but there are lots of countries with great teams, so whoever plays best deserves to win! Not a fan of having world cups in Saudi Arabia and Russia though, that always has a bit of a foul smell... As, incidentally, did the WC in Germany in 2006 as is now known...

Greets, Jonas

Being French, I have to support France, but then there is also my new home country, Portugal (a pity I can't stand the overblown ego of their top player, Cristiano Ronaldo - mind you, how can you avoid that when you have an international airport (Funchal, in Madeira) named after you, when you are not even 30 :doh: ? PS edit :just read that CR just got condemned in Spain for tax evasion : 18.8 million € fine, and 2 years of prison (sentences up to 2 years of prison are never implemented apparently in Spain) . This is going to add some spice to the Spain-Portugal match :))

And then « football is a game played by two 11-blokes teams, and in the end Germany wins » :) ...

Hubert

I was first aware of Ronaldo when he joined my club - I'm also a Season Ticket holder - when he was eighteen, and had the pleasure of seeing him develop from a rough diamond, and what did filter out through the press was his tremendous work ethic, he really does want to be the very best, spends hour after hour on the practice pitch, we've had an awful lot of players at United who have failed to fulfil anything close to their potential, he's not a dirty player, doesn't harangue the officials, isn't covered in tattoos, and when he returned to Old Trafford with Real a few years ago, he still remembered the names of the back ground staff, their partners, children, and was a very popular person with those he worked with in Manchester. Ok he's a good-looking man, can be accused of being vain, but he gets extremely bad press as a result of it.

The determination in his face before he took that free-kick last night said it all about the man.

He's not the first footballer to be prosecuted for tax reasons in Spain, I think that's more to do with financial advisers and the tax laws there, it doesn't happen in other countries.

Viva Ronaldo!!!

Whatever my feelings, I have to say he was absolutely outstanding yesterday ... He saved the day for Portugal, and his determination was admirable.

And yes, you're right Andy, other top players - like Messi - have been caught by the Spanish tax authorities. When you make a lot of money, you are more likely to be targeted by fiscal controls. Reason more for the players and their advisers to be careful into their choices.

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Only 1 World Cup I'll be watching and that's next year in Japan. Can't watch 22 multi millionaires chasing a bag of wind and acting like they've been shot with a 12 bore shotgun.

Edited by Monty Python

I am not the worlds greatest football fan for many of the reasons outlined but there is something a little different about the world cup which peaks a passing interest. 

That said, in my humble opinion, last nights Spain Portugal match was one of the best football games i have seen in a long time. 

I was born in a country that "oozed" soccer, though not a the moment :wicked:, but always disliked the game and hated it......oh wait i still do!!!!!!

nuf said,

J.

Edited by Jack