Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 JG 300 Wilde Sau...*Completed*

BradG

Guest Maxim

Well it's a cold old night here in Melbourne, I have the cricket on so decided to crack open a cold one....and a model. So far so good, the beverage was something I picked up from Aldi, not bad, good enough to warm you up a bit though.

PN2qbPn.jpg

Hey Brad, your Bourbon is a repacked Asahi Woodstock Bourbon.I look forward to seeing the 109 come together.

Edited by Maxim

Some paint on the interior, Gunze RLM 66 grey works nicely. I've also picked out some of the various bits and bobs in the cockpit, just awaiting a sealing coat to dry before applying the decals to the instrument panel. So far so good. Not sure if I will paint the seat belts molded into the seat yet or get an aftermarket set.

uLk1MWI.jpg

Well I managed to get the cockpit together and in the fuselage, it was pretty fiddly though. I found it better to leave some parts only tacked together so when the fuselage is closed up, you can clamp it all down. The cockpit pieces don't have precise fitting tabs, so a mistake in gluing here could result in a pain to close the fuselage. Anyways, everything forward to the clamp is glued, there are some spills that I'll have to clean up and repaint. Test fit of the rear canopt section looks good too so I know I got everything lined up.

pmvKa2V.jpg

Rear fuselage is glued. A little clean up will be required.

SxRDYfu.jpg

Starting on the forward fuselage inserts. This really highlights some of the poor engineering in this kit. You can see the red arrows, these point to join lines that need to be filled. The sil to the cockpit is a real mess that needs clean up for you to open the canopy and the split on the side fuselage insert baffles me, why not put it on an actual panel line? Also the green circles, these are the tabs that are meant to hold the canopy in the open position. These are a figment of some Revell designers imagination, but as they fit into indented sections on the canopy, removing them to open the cockpit will require some tricky filling, so I might just use them despite the accuracy.

x26Br73.jpg

I should also mention the back plate to the cockpit should be flat, but it's difficult to see this error when the canopy section is fitted so I will just leave it be.

On all the later marks there are heat shields over the exhaust stubs.  On the starboard side it is flat, whilst on the port side it curves downward.

Gaz

Thanks! It just seemed a bit too large, and I wondered if it was a night fighter modification...

Working on the wings here. I've decided to ignore the instructions and build them up a bit then slot them onto the wing spar. I've also left out the outer section of the wheel well wall as this attaches to the wingspar. Doing things this way gives me a bit more wiggle room if I happen to screw up the alignment. 

2S1ba3S.jpg

RLMSNte.jpg