Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk IA, UPDATE 01/31/16

Barry

what a great model, what a great story behind...The 24th spit was/is one of my all time favorites. I remember the old times, as I ws a Boy...the spit was Englands saver (poor hurricane, I know) and a legend .

Keep it up, I'm  looking always here to see the progress

M

Well after getting the dihedral pretty much set I found that the port wing leading edge was twisted up from the outboard gun port, outboard and the entire port wing trailing edge was twisted up from mid flap span out to the outboard edge of the aileron. :hmmm: I could set the dihedral at the tip but the leading edge was low and the trailing edge was high. Got to love these old kit and especially their re-releases. When viewed from head on I could clearly see much more of the upper wing surface of the port wing compared to the starboard wing. Would have made a great left turn "pylon racer". :rofl:

TAFN,

Barry

These two photos show my attempts to twist the wing outboard section LE Up and trailing edge down the entire length of the wing. Talk about wing warping!!

P1010368_zpsenm8tnno.jpg

P1020370_zpspggvjbov.jpg

The end result...looks much better now. The dihedral is not set as in glued and will get its final tweak later.

P1030375_zpswyrmtsc4.jpg

Working through issues as they arise. Trailing edge of vertical stabilizer, a victim of incompletely molding. I removed the inner “fillet†area that forms the rudder post area and laminated sheet plastic to build up the trailing edge trying to keep it on the same plan as the exterior skin and as thin as possible. It worked out reasonably well. After sanding and filing the trailing edge the rudder fits pretty well. Another issue to tackle is the forward most panel line on the vert stab is located differently on each half. The leading edge as well as the upper line of the vert stab will also cause some rework and shaping to match rudder.

P1050378_zpsgz2zvs1o.jpg
P1050376_zps4nuis7ry.jpg
P1050385_zpsbjbdr31p.jpg
P1050382_zpsumjyacfc.jpg
P1050387_zpsoj75nl5z.jpg
P1050388_zps5ow3cp7x.jpg
P1090392_zps8ovpmh16.jpg
P1050378B_zpsuv0d2qns.jpg

I have started on the horizontal stabilizers and elevators and they too have some fit issues but the molding other than some sink marks is better than the vert stab.  I have gotten the starboard one just about where I want it. Hopefully I will be posting some photos of the progress tomorrow.

TAFN,

Barry

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words.

You know though I point out the issues I do enjoy the challenge. I grew up building every type of model by most of the manufactures from the late 50s' onward. I clearly remember the early Revell 1/32 kits and they were awesome because they were so much larger. However unlike the 1/48 Monogram kits they were very challenging. Back then I built my way through and accepted the results. Now with 50+years experience I can fix 99% of what I encounter it just exercises the "little gray cell" first then the manual dexterity.

My first Tamiya kit was the 1/25 Tiger I and when it was released it was absolutely the most advanced well detail model I had ever seen. Now 8 out 10 models produced in the larger scales exceed that kit's level of detail by a measurable factor though the build ability can still prove challenging.

I truly love this hobby in every respect it drives me to be better at everything I do! :party0023:

Barry

Guest Peterpools

Hi Barry

Some mighty nice work on the vertical stabilizer and looking real good.

I fondly remember the old and early days of the hobby and for me, with the mid 1970's being the first time I became serious modeler. We built kits pretty much OOB, as references were only what you could afford in print: no internet, no on line - just the local HS and our club. All in all, I do miss the old days.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Quick update,

Working on the horizontal stabilizers and elevators as planned. Over all the fit is not too bad all things (kit age) considered.  I did a lot of filing and fitting between the stabilizers and the fuselage but otherwise things were going well until I compared the leading edges of the elevators to their respective stabilizers and to each other. :crying:

P1100398A_zpsumvm1j5d.jpg

The starboard elevator or stabilizer is wrong “somehow†pictures tell the story. Both measure out very close to the port pieces, no obvious answer. :hmmm:

P1100400A_zpslo6wbjlp.jpg

The quick fix would be to file stab and elevator along their common angular outboard edges. However, if I do so the leading edges of each moves in opposite directions causing a miss match between them. I believe my approach will be to add to the inboard most edge(s) of the starboard elevator though it will then be a little longer than the port elevator. :shrug:

P1100403_zpscva1fx4j.jpg

I have split the starboard stabilizer back apart and have reassembled it reducing the miss match by about 75% then added a piece of .015 plastic to the inboard edge of the elevator. Once glue dries I will refit both and I "think" it will work out.  :frantic:

TAFN,

Barry

Hi Barry, this is another challenge to cope with on your build but I'm confident that you'll beat it.

Is the port horizontal tailplane shorter in chord than the starboard one? The first image seems to suggest that is the case.

The last image of your update also appears to show the difference. I don't think it helps with the elevator issue but it might be one more thing to be aware of...

I'm pulling for you on this one. Keep on keepin' on.

Cheers.