FW 190A-8. Finished. Done. Yay!

KOTR

WOW that looks neat! I really like the new or I should say added Camo! She's really coming along now! I know it has got to feel great to be getting closer to calling this one done :) As far as mud is concerned, I prefer Oils, but a lot of nice results that you can un-do to a degree are being done in pigments.

All the best to you and this magnificent build,

Paul

Thank you, Paul. :) I thought about using a mixture of plaster and pigments, or some real soil from a field, but its a bit cold for a lenghty stroll :rolleyes: Oil paint might look to wet I imagine.

Speaking of oils, time for a quick update. I tried Iains technique of using undiluted artist's oils to emphasise the panel lines, and a layer of Payne's grey later, I'm quite pleased with the result:

fw19028.jpg

No thinner, no guessing whether the paint/thinner mix is in the right state - dry enough to stay in the panel line, not to dry so it can be removed without much rubbing, no risk of the underlying paint of. And works great with rather fine and shallow panel lines. Looks quite messy when you start wiping off the exzessive paint, but that goes away and leaves a fine result behind. Way to go. :punk:

Looking very nice mate!

Speaking of oils, time for a quick update. I tried Iains technique of using undiluted artist's oils to emphasise the panel lines, and a layer of Payne's grey later, I'm quite pleased with the result:

Yeah, that came out great! Do you wipe of the excess paint dry, or do you use something moistened with thinners?

Kev

I did wipe them off dry with normal face tissue. In some spots, where I still had some of the rough clearcoat, I moistened the paint a little with a brush with Humbrol thinner and wiped then.

Looks great! I knew it would, as far as oils looking to wet, you can very carefully with a fine brush just add clear flat over the muddied up area when the oils dry, or use a very fine setting on your airbrush if that's an option and use it to do the same. Justa thought.

Keep up the great work, you're in the home stretch now!

Paul

I like it filthy! :wicked:

If you haven't hit the back button in disgust, muttering something about those perverted Krauts, you might be dissappointed to learn that I won't tell you about my private life and preferences. At least this time! :lol:

Just some progress pics of the weathering works underway. As I learned that radials only stop splotching oil when they ran out of the same, out came the raw umber and a fair amount later, I had a neat streak on the underside:

fw19029.jpg

Yeah baby, you're so durty! :whistle:

fw19030.jpg

Also purchased some material for a base: :)

fw19031.jpg

Looking for a way to recreate dry mud, I failed to find my bag of plaster, but ran across a bottle of this. Always surprising what kind of stuff one amasses over the years and forget about. A quick experiment with some pigments looks very promising. I think that is the way to go, but it'll be a few days before I can pick up some earth from a field nearby.

Not that I mind the snow. :) Around 15 cm here and rising, which is quite a lot for the region... :yahoo:

schnee01.jpg

Photo tour was cut short though because the administration locked that beautiful old cementary with its wonderful Art Nouveau tombs due to the risk of snow breakage. Stepping in a pothole and flooding my shoe did the rest... :rolleyes:

Enjoy! :)

Starts looking like a plane. Power egg stucked on, standing on her own feet, most of the weathering done and having a first peek into her future living room (the base she'll be positioned on, that is ;) )

fw19032.jpg

fw19033.jpg

fw19034.jpg

Yay! :)

Piece by piece, the small parts come together now. The seat needs a wash, main wheels the rim colour, and the canopy a final polish. Antennas, pitot tube, gun barrels and blast tubes should come along during the week, as will some other details and touchups. The only thing I really dread right now is the wire antenna.

But right now I have the hope to have her done by the weekend, minus the base :yahoo:

Enjoy! :)

Guest Peterpools

Thanks for the tip on using straight oils for the panel lines ... looks perfect and I'll be certainly giving it a go on my Spit; same with the oil streaking. The effect looks absolutely perfect.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Wow - that looks good - Karl Kennel's Fw 190 is one of my favourite schemes ever since I saw a previous model here on LSP:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=31192

Look forward to seeing more.

:goodjob:

I could swear I answered to this. Well, it definitely is a quite unique, stunning scheme. Interesting to see Piet's different approach to the colours.

Thank you! :)

Cool, really great work. The paint work is really stellar!

I know you probably have said, but I assume using an oil wash, that you painted things using acrylics?

Thank you Brian.

Yepp, I use a combination of self mixed Tamiya (RLM 74 & 75), Vallejo Model Air (RLM76, black, white), Gunze (mottling in RLM83) with the addition of some Revell and Model Master acrylics (really love the later, to bad its a bit difficult to get)

Basically I slap everything I on my models that I have lying around here :D

The main reasons I prefer using acrylics are that they are mostly odourless (not the worst thing in my confinded space), dry quickly and I usually can control the layers much better with the airbrush than enamel :)

Thanks for the tip on using straight oils for the panel lines ... looks perfect and I'll be certainly giving it a go on my Spit; same with the oil streaking. The effect looks absolutely perfect.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Give it a try, you won't be dissappointed, Peter! Thank you, too :)

In the meantime, baby got new shoes and a new home.

fw19035.jpg

Just needs some cleanup, paint, weed'n'stuff. First time I put the knowledge of the of the Shepard Paine book into practice :)

fw19036.jpg

I know there is a debate here whether such wooden hardstands did exist at all, but someone could have told me before I bought all the material! :D

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't fallen asleep or given up. A little progress everyday, but nothing worth an update. Its the stuff I call the 'headache parts'. Installation of seats and belts, attachment of canopy, antennas, and flaps. Made new blast tubes from microtubings, added gear attitude indicators, etc. All that small stuff that make you crosseyed and has the power to split your head. Especially if you do it my way and try to fiddle seat and belts into the cockpit at the final stage of the build. I was smart enough to follow my doctor's advice and kept the building speed slow enough to stay below the healthy daily dose of Ibuprofen... :lol:

Anyways, a rather unexciting Sebring 12 hours this weekend got me in the right mood to get down on the antenna. Made around 12 tensioning springs and cut and drilled about 20 insultators insulators until I had the neccessary amount. The last two days I spent with attaching the antenna wire, and tadaaa: she's done! DONE! I can't believe it!! Okay, pitot tube is missing (snapped that one off, twice, before I do so for the third time, I'll build a new from microtubing), and the base is still in the making. But that'll have to wait for the next month. Modelling budget is stretched out for March. But for the time being, I call her finished. Yay! :yahoo:

fw19037.jpg

fw19038.jpg

fw19039.jpg

RFI pics will follow when the base is done and the weather permits proper photography.

In the meantime: Enjoy! :)