Trumpeter's SBD-1 UPDATE: 2/18/18: THE GEAR: DONE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Ron and absolutely agree that as an early Trumpeter kit, they set a mark that seem to have a very hard time living up to on later kits.

Right now I've finished the complete engine assembly and will have a update I hope today.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Carl

I am a amazed that when Trumpeter want to go the distance with detail and fit, they are more then capable of it. Sure wish it was that way on all their kits.

Guest Peterpools

Absolutely a Top of the Line kit and the only two points Trumpeter could have done better for an Box Stock, OOB build: molder tires and to have left behinf the clear multi part cowl assembly.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Craig

Finally discovered the world of Box Stock/OOB, especially for contests and it's a nice change of pace. A real moral booster knowing the only no instructional decisions are colors/paint and decals; best fuel to keep the model rolling alomng at a nice steady pace.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 1/1/18: THE NOSE END

Nice steady progress as Trumpeter continues to amaze me with how nice of a kit the SBD actually is.

Backtracking now that the fuselage is basically glued up and ready to ave the lost details from sanding re-scribe, I thought it best to move an and finish up the front end. The details in the kit for the firewall are quite nice and Trumpeter's idea to provide clear plastic parts for the four main cowl sections so that the interior can be seen, is not a bit toyish for me. Way back at the start, I decided as with other Trumpeter kits I've built, that I isn't going to keep those parts as clear and they would be painted along with the balance of the aircraft and this entire area would be close up, which is just fine. I still went ahead and finished off all the parts just in case some might be seen or I had a last minute change of heart. I did take a bit of builders poetic license and played somewhat with the colors to add some additional pop as I only could play with the colors for the details.

The entire firewall and bulkhead assemblies were built as per the kit instructions, painted as individual parts and then assembled. I'm still out to lunch on how strong the whole engine assembly will be, I kept on assuring myself that once the cowls were in place, a lot of extra strength would also be added. Only the P&W hasn't been glued permanently in place yet and still dry fitted.

A combination of Alcads and AK Metallics were use along with Model Air Zinc Green Chromate and Gray as per the instructions.

YIKES: I just saw a tiny scratch on the crankcase in the photos that will need a bit of TLC.

Up next: I'm following Andre's lead and reaming out the lightening hols in the flaps/dive brakes as the flash in the inside of every hole is annoying and doesn't look right. I'm sure this isn't violating any rules as the holes are molded in and just needed to be cleaned up to look good.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

bF0KVN.jpg

V7HnfJ.jpg

m5h6DJ.jpg

FPdjv4.jpg

pAiAKA.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Peter,

The engine looks great!  I like the look you've given the rocker covers as different from the cooling louvres on the cylinders.  ON many kits and builds this area often looks like an amorphous blob that is thankfully hidden by the cowls.

Gaz

Like what you have done so far, Peter.

Just a comment on the pushrods rocker covers. They were embossed sheet-metal, and IIRC, painted a gloss black enamel color, just like the tubes in which the actual pushrods slided ...

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Gaz for the very kind comments on the SBD's P&W. I did take a bit of poetic license on a few of the colors but alas, when the front end is glued up and in place except for the crankcase and cylinder faces, nothing else will be seen. Just nice to know it's there

Peter