IL-2M3 Sturmovik by Hobby Boss

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys!! I've been hammering away at the build, somehow managed to break off the counterbalance on the top of the tail. Darn. If i were to do it again i would cut it off and install it last, i'll have to scratch one up, now. I did some chipping on the build with rubber cement, didn't go as easy this time. I had to mix Modelmaster Acryl to get the colors, seems it doesn't rub off as easily as Tamiya paint did, really had to work at it. I used Montex masks for the build, They took  LOT of patience and perseverance to use, but am happy with the results. Included were two decals for the 22 number, decals applied nicely.

IMG_5009_zps7evlezhz.jpg

IMG_5010_zpsjvuci2m8.jpg

IMG_5011_zpsayknoher.jpg

IMG_5012_zpsqb1wbpt2.jpg

IMG_5013_zpsdxcq0pzn.jpg

Don

Looking very good in Georgiy Beregevoiy's markings (he was a future cosmonaut, if memory serves). One thing to remember about weathering, which you seem to be following - the metal parts weathered more than the fabric and wooden parts (the wooden parts such as the fuselage were themselves covered in fabric to create a smooth surface). It seems that the paint adhered better to the wooden/fabric portions than it did to the metal parts, and I suspect the crew were quick to repair any paint wear on these parts due to the threat of fabric separation (if the slipstream got between the fabric and the wood it could cause catastrophic failure of the structure in flight). I see you have the ALG-1 primer well-represented (the yellowish-greenish paint to those who don't know; the other primer was ALG-5, which was a greyish-greenish colour). Good catch on that! You have done your research, Don.

Regards,

Jason

When i was researching the build i found a few pics that showed panels with primer and color coats, so i made sure to add a primer to the coat over the AS-12 Tamiya spray bomb, after i applied cement to the AS-12. I wanted NMF/primer to show when chipping the paint. The primer coat is Tamiya XF-4 Yellow Green, which looks like Chromate primer. I did chip the wooden fuselage at 4-5 spots, nothing close to the amount at other places and just showing the primer. Didn't know that about the fabric cover or the failures that could occur. I like this part of group builds, the chance to build something i never would have and to learn about the aircraft itself. I did manage to give it a wash with Florys pro modeller wash, always works great. Also gave it a flat coat which evened out the paint/weathering. Still lots to do, will start on the gear next. Thanks for the positive feedback, guys, and thanks Jason for the knowledge you share. Some pics

IMG_5019_zpsm3msin2g.jpg

IMG_5020_zpspa75h98p.jpg

IMG_5021_zpsijb9nzip.jpg

Don

Edited by dmthamade

You're welcome Don, and nice to see my knowledge put to good use! I see you've done the wheel wells in the primer. I normally do mine in the A-14 Steel Grey, but there is solid archaeological evidence from wrecks that the wheel wells were sometimes left in the primer colour. I've thought about doing at least one of my Il-2's that way, but I'm lazy so I paint every interior part in the A-14 neutral grey colour. One thing about the fabric covering - it was attached to the birch veneer covering with a yellow nitroputty, so yellow is appropriate there also when you want to show a bit of wear. One thing you should never show on a Shturmovik, or any Soviet aircraft with any wooden structure is the bare wood, on the outside at any rate. If any mechanic let an aeroplane get that worn, because of the fabric separation problem he would probably gain himself a one-way ticket to a penal battalion. Another point, although it seems you have followed this is that the port wing root was normally (much) more weathered than the starboard wing root as this is where the pilot (and gunner) normally entered. This would apply to all VVS aircraft. I've seen photographs where the Il-2 was worn to the metal along the entire port wing root to the forward cockpit, with little weathering elsewhere. 

Regards,

Jason  

Edited by Learstang

Hello Jason!! The wheelwells i've read where they were primer yellow ALG-14, bottom surface color, A-14 Grey, ALG-5.... you know what i mean...In the end, i decided on the ALG-14 because i forgot to spray the grey. Still have to do the gear doors, may do a mix with one a different color as a replacement door. Struts i'll do in silver.

Where i did do some chipping on the fuselage i did the yellow primer  underneath, just made sense. Yeah, port wing is more weathered than the right wing for the reasons you give. Pics i've seen show such vast differences in the amount of weathering plane to plane, i decided to go with an amount i'm happy with. Did see pics where the port wing was heavily weathered, wanted to be a little more conservative. Thanks again!!

Don

You're welcome, Don! It'll be nice to see her standing on her legs. One point on the struts, normally on Il-2 models they have a 'boot' covering the telescoping part. A review of hundreds of photographs has led me to believe that this was the exception, and not the rule.The standard was having this part uncovered, showing a very shiny metallic colour. The HB kit has the boot, so it's up to you of course to keep it or not. I kept it on my HB build, painted a suitable leatherish colour (it was probably not actual leather, but 'bezant', a sort of Soviet 'patent leather').

Regards,

Jason

Damn! I just love your chipping technique/application. I'll have to try it on my next build!

I strongly recommend you or anyone experiment first!!!! On my Tony build i used a Tamiya green and it peeled of fine. This time i used mostly Testoty Acryl mixes and it was a bear to peel the paint off. I think for the Acryl i should use a heavier spot of glue, i was really worried it wouldn't come off. Once again, experiment first with your favorite brands and base of paints!!!

You're welcome, Don! It'll be nice to see her standing on her legs. One point on the struts, normally on Il-2 models they have a 'boot' covering the telescoping part. A review of hundreds of photographs has led me to believe that this was the exception, and not the rule.The standard was having this part uncovered, showing a very shiny metallic colour. The HB kit has the boot, so it's up to you of course to keep it or not. I kept it on my HB build, painted a suitable leatherish colour (it was probably not actual leather, but 'bezant', a sort of Soviet 'patent leather').

Regards,

Jason

Those oleo covers are mostly absent, but the way HB moulded these make it almost impossible to remove without weakening the struts, i'll leave them on.

I did manage to reach a milestone and have the build up on its gear. Hopefully this should be done tomorrow. Some pics.

IMG_5030_zpsx1gjbbwd.jpg

IMG_5029_zpsyjqunzcg.jpg

IMG_5028_zpsioyyeial.jpg

Don

Don, I think you're correct about the plastic oleo struts, and that is a heavy model. She looks good up on her own two feet - it will be great to see her finished! I can't really say that the arrow is my favourite version (I think they all are), but the swept-back wings do give the Il-2 a bit of grace that is missing from the earlier versions.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang