Hasegawa P-51D

ruzlkampf

I've always heard that this was such a nice kit to build OOB, I just have to try it. Won't be able to use those True Details wheels or that pilot, but that's OK...the kit versions will do just fine. I'll just throw them into another box. A nice stress-free build. What fun! :rolleyes: Later, Russ

post-4413-1229159242.jpg

Your count in the last few weeks :

Scratchbuilt Fying Pancake

An Me 109 G

A Bird Dog with its glider

An A4

A F4S

Now a P-51 and maybe a Bearcat ! :o :o :o

C'mon Harry, WE FOUND YOU !

OK youv' got a very special wand with phoenix feathers inside. But tell us, just to entertain us poor Muggles : What is the spell for putting kits together so fast ? :rolleyes: :lol:

Great job Russ. Your work is really admirable.

Hubert.

He he, Thanks, Hubert. :rolleyes: I eat a lot of chocolate donuts and hum hymns. Hey, I see your avatar is MostlyRacers? I think you're going to REALLY like this build. OOB for 3 days,....then Griffon engine/conter-rotating props/cut down canopy and wings,...uhmmm basically an RB-51 Red Baron. I'm taking this Mustang and that Bearcat to RENO baby!! Stay tuned.

Wow !

That does not qualify anymore for a box stcok derby, but yes I like it! and I will follow this one closely.

I keep being amazed at your speed and skill in building kits. I have been laboring for months on a ship kit, before I dare tackle a LSP.

It should be the old Grumman Gulfhawk from Monogram...although I am tempetd by the Macchi MC2 from Brach Models, which I cannot wait to lay on my workbench !

Nawwww, I do not believe your donut story. The only thing chocolate donuts do for me is build my waist, not kits <_< :lol: :lol:

I think I have found your spell "Kitusexpeditusprestissimus !". Now where is thsi wand for me to try it .... :P

Hubert.

Hah hah! Speed and skill?! :ph34r: More like bumbling along, and pure dumb fun. Hey, I build ship mdels too! Nobody ever sees the 1/350 scale(and larger) battleships and 1/100 scale 1st rate ship-o-the-lines I build too. They're not planes, so I don't post pics. Just completed a 1/350 Richelieu. Can't wait to see that Gulfhawk. I built that when I was what?...about 15 years old in the ealy 70's Sheez, almost forgot about that. First spray-paint can model...I was styling! :)

Uh, oh..where wuz I? Aaaah, yes...2008. Just to show pics that I WAS going to fake everybody out and actually build this as a stock Mustang(heh heh)...here ya go. Placards, PE detail set, blah, blah. Even got it all jigged up. Waited too long to post as I wuz finishing off other things. (I don't FEEL tardy?) Well, all this stuff, and that resin WWII pilot and wheels kept my interest about as long as it took to take that pic. As Derek so aptly put it, "it's time to violate another kit"! :P

post-4413-1229512651.jpg

I'm thinking maybe 70% of this kit is going to go into the spares box. Maybe less, depending upon what it morphs into.

I don't know if everybody here follows the truly decadent American sport of 'Unlimited Air Racing' at Reno, so I'm going to include a short pictoral presentation of where I'm going to be going with this kit...and beyond. Anything is possible in plastic, and I'm only limited by my imagination.

Here's what I call a 'phase 1' Mustang mod. Cut down canopy and wingtips, cleaned up airframe, and a fancy paint-job. Lotsa internal mods, but we won't go there for now, OK?! Here's some examples;

post-4413-1229513472.jpg

In the air. Cuts a nice little profile, but meh....needs a BIGGER motor, methinks. I also classify another AC named 'Vendetta' in this catagory. It still has the radiator scoop, but had Lear jet wings and elevators installed. More on that mod in a bit. The vapor coming out of the wings is from a spraybar that blows water/glycol across the front of the radiator to cool it down. Most racers have this.

post-4413-1229514589.jpg

Okay,, now here's a say... 'phase 3' mod. :) Griffon engine and contra-rotating prop from a Shacklton patrol bomber. Hmmmm, still basically a 'phase 1' mod with a bigger motor. Sweet none-the-less. :P This is of course the RB-51, 'Red Baron'. I'd be happy with this. :ph34r:

post-4413-1229514820.jpg