Mig-19 - supersonic dogfighter in orange dress

dutik

Not a biggie - the outer missle rails were a local modification by just 2 users of the whole F-6 family: Pakistan and Egypt. All the other F-6 aircraft around the globe never had them (and the F-6 is still operational in different air forces). The Russians made one too for the Mig-19, but only a prototype that never made it into production. So it is ok that Trumpeter did not add these pylons. The ORO rocket pods are an omission - they are in the guided missle interceptor kits for aircrafts that never used them, but not in the F-6 variant kit that used them operational. This is a real miss. Especially because nobody else makes these specific pods...

Regards

- dutik

• 4 weeks later...

Well, as any summer lacking modelling time. At least I added the remaining wiring and plumbing to the other UC bay. More to come with the UC and all actuators in place. There are a lot of thouse inside the Farmers UC bay, because Mikoyan manged to break down the UC cover into 3 different parts; not to forget the actuators for the UC himself, which will be added after painting of the aircraft...

mig-190026u4z7o.jpg

mig-1900275uy98.jpg

mig-190028uax66.jpg

The not-so-funny part is to fill and sand all these gaps at the rear fuselage and to re-engrave the lost lines. Time consuming and frustrating work. We shall see.

mig-190029c8ayv.jpg

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

Finished rescribing of the lost lines as well as a dozen of hatches along the fuselage :)

Pulled off the protective  tape from the pit opening and started to build and paint the remaining interior parts: Seat, rear cover, gunsight and stick. Left them off while working at the fuselage to avoid breaking off something. Everything was stored in the right place, but I couldn't find the sprue with the control stick. Looked for the stick a full hour, nothing. Nada. Bad news  :tumble: 

Finally I managed to find a Fw-190 stick in the stash. Not really a jet stick, but good enough. Checked the pit how to mount it, and well, the original control stick was right in place from the beginning... Check the image at the first page. Oh yeah, I am a genius :whistle:  :doh: 

Regards

- dutik

Cockpit installed, minus a few small bits around the rim:

mig-190031tqs4l.jpg

mig-190030jqsqf.jpg

mig-190034dlsyr.jpg

mig-190032b0sln.jpg

mig-190033vessc.jpg

I am not sure if the seat has to rest completly inside the slot behind it. Fit was very tight. I pressed it into as far as possible without breaking apart the fuselage. There is a banjo-shaped part for the gunsight. The instructions just point into the general direction like a short run kit. There is also no special location point. This must be some kind of data projector or a gun camera. The end of the "arm" has to be in the centerline and roughly at half height of the HUD screen. The same kind of sight was used with the early Mig-21, so in case you have no images of the thing look for the other Mig. Added some details that were omissed by Trumpeter. When adding the front screen (the large clear part of the HUD) dryfit the front canopy to bring the HUD out of the way of the front window. Fit is very tight here. Anything else is easy, if you remove paint and maybe a bit of styrene inside the slot of the sight that meets the dashboard.

Up now to a very disliked task: The rear canopy has a large center seam that needs to be removed. Lets hope I do not brake apart or completly scratch the canopy. There is no replacement at hand...

Regards

- dutik

• 1 year later...