1/18TH JSI F-14B Tomcat conversion

A-10LOADER

I've been asked a few times about posting this project so, here she is. It's currently up on two other forums so bear with me as I bring everything over, it was started back in February of 2013,  and try to bring everyone up to where the project stands now.

I usually build 1/48th scale stuff and had no idea how involved this project would be. I am a slow builder as is plus, I suffer from SDS ( Super Detailers Syndrome ) and a perfectionist, all of which adds to the length of my builds. Throw in research as well and, you get the idea.

I hope you all enjoy this journey with me and feel free to comment, thanks.

Steve

Here is my 1/18th scale JSI VF-84 F-14A which I will be converting to a VF-103 low-viz B model because of the poor factory finish.

IMG_2996.jpg

Edited by A-10LOADER

Some resin F-110 exhaust nozzels.

IMG_2999.jpg

One down (RH tank), one to go. Seams scraped, filled and , ready for some primer.

IMG_3000.jpg

After much wet sanding the horizontal stab on the left is just about done. Instead of filling the seams I deceided to eliminate them all together, just like on the actual jet. The real ones were one piece boron fiber. I was able to get the edges much thinner to which, looks much better IMO

IMG_3013.jpg

Radome fitted, glued in place and, wet sanded.

IMG_3014.jpg

Seams filled, awaiting more wet sanding.

IMG_3015.jpg

After much trial and error, and referring to Danny Coreman's book "Uncovering the Grumman F-14A/B/D Tomcat", I think I got it. Here are my paper templates for the tail stiffeners. I will use .010" sheet plastic and "layer" them just like the picture shows.

IMG_3017.jpg

Since both my 1/18th scale Tomcats will be displayed in the "in flight" mode, I had to come up with a way to support the Cat. For now I came up with this idea. Eventually, I want to have this ( the rods and the pvc halves ) made out of clear acrylic. I'm planning on building 2 display cases for both Cats with acrylic covers as well to keep them dust free.

IMG_3085_zpsefaa791a.jpg

IMG_3087_zps794c0bbe.jpg

Started to work on the stiffeners earlier today. Deceided to do the easier one first, the one that goes around the rear boarding step. Here is the before shot.

IMG_3095_zps77dcaf48.jpg

And, here is the finished result. The area has been wet sanded and the stiffener glued in place. The steps are glued shut as well. Now to tackle those tail stiffeners.

IMG_3098_zps18078410.jpg

FINALLY the tail stiffeners are finished !! These were made out of .010" sheet plastic. It's kinda hard to see the "layers" now but, once they are primed, painted and weathered, the details will pop right out.

Steve

IMG_3176_zps344b8ec5.jpg

IMG_3177_zps1083e16e.jpg

This is a BEFORE shot of the F-14A cockpit. Since I am converting mine to a B model, the rear instrument panel needs some attention. This would be ALOT easier to do without the cockpit installed in the fuselage. I did not have the guts to tear this entire assembly apart however. The area around the round bluish screen had some raised details that needed to be removed in order to have a flat surface to attach the new screen. I fabricated a new one out of .015" sheet plastic.

IMG_3183_zps5652c510.jpg

This shot shows the new panel (the white square shaped one) tacked into place. Once it is painted black and the little details added, it should look fine. Still need to add the RIO's control stick to the LH console and also add the canopy jettison handles to both the front and rear instrument panels.

IMG_3189_zps26e31876.jpg

Steve

Got a little something done today. This was scavenged from one of my sons broken toy jets ( a GI Joe F-22 ) sitting in the closet. Now it will seve as the RIO's control stick. I had to saw off the very top and spin it 90 degrees so the flat face was facing up. Some primer, black paint and a few color dots for certain buttons and it will be ready to install. Even though you really won't be able to see it, once the aircrew is installed and the canopy closed, at least I know it's in there and the B cockpit is done right.

IMG_3210_zpsf3e2e46f.jpg

IMG_3211_zps0a0b7d36.jpg

Almost forgot, these showed up yesterday. After their helmets are custom painted they'll be ready for their office.

Steve

IMG_3212_zpsd07505ec.jpg

Here is the new " scratch-built " Programmable Tactical Information Display ( PTID ), which was a significant upgrade for the rear cockpit of the Bombcat. Came out well IMO and, was well worth the effort.

IMG_3215_zpsfe7ff043.jpg

Another important upgrade for the Bombcat was the PTID stick. This is the RIO's control stick for the LANTRIN pod. Again, once the aircrew are installed and the canopy closed you 'll not be able to see much of these added details for the B model but, at least I know they are there and it's done correctly.

IMG_3214_zpsa9b6f603.jpg

Thanks for following along,

Steve

Today's update,

Next up, modifying the aft end fuselage fairings. The B/D's had a more squared fairing than the rounded ones found on the A models. Still throwing around ideas on how to tackle this ........

IMG_3233_zps8e97f9ca.jpg

These shots show the aft end fuselage fairings after being reworked. I can not take credit for this work however, a good friend of mine helped me out, thanks BUZZ !! I couldn't figure out how to get to this point. What a difference and now it looks like a B model should.

IMG_3271_zps219d924b.jpg

IMG_3270_zpsf94bac66.jpg

Steve