Ugh! When a kit is not shake and bake it takes forever to build and get to the priming stage. Also over time the finish tend to get worse with scratch and dents everywhere. It will be great when I can finally prime this one!
Today I installed the remaining "moving surfaces".
Note that the fin lack any rivets and thus represents a wooden one, and the stabilisators are metal.
Regretably they are not very well made for other positions than the neutral.
When I dry fitted the flaps it showed I had to remove some plastics in order to lower the point where they attach to the wings.
Same with the elevators.
Here is photos from before and after surgery.
The flaps doesn't look too good after this but it will be hidden in the shadows under the wing.
(Would you dare keep coarse paper like this close to your models ?)
I also worked on the PE for the cockpit. Interestingly there are TWO sets for the Galland Panzer. The unused part has a bigger clear part. New to me that the Germans did changes to this armour and I wonder were they got that information.
Oh, yes, the PE is not an option. There is no plastic so one must use the metal.
I will go and get some black vallejo primer for that RLM 66 finish. Today I made do with a lighter one.
Now I understand it was mistake on my part to not have studied other construction reviews of (earlier) Trumpeter Bf 109s.
It appears my attempt to make sure the wings attach well to the fuselage also slightly changed the size of the cockpit, and as a consequence it is about 0.5 mm too wide now.
This photo show there was no indication of this. It was only when I dry fitted the canopy that this showed up.
The best thing of this kit is the rubber wheels, and I may save them for a Hasegawa kit.
PS. Right I forgot to mention I removed the ribbing on elevators and ailerons. They were awful!
Edited by Hardcore, 13 September 2015 - 09:40 PM.