Revell Arado Ar 196 B 1/32

holzemjo

Thanks a lot Maru, and sorry for my delayed response!

So, quite some time has passed since my last update and I have been working on this on and off. Started my new job in january and was busy with preparations and getting worked in, so I didn't update regularly. So, where are we? Well, the bird has wings:

PzAzkpb.jpg?1

And, as you can see, it got a clear coat and I put on the decals. Those really fought me, they were very fragile and did not want to stick or settle down anywhere, which resulted in some silvering on the fuselage sides that I can't do anything about anymore, and some broken decals on the wing surface that had to be 'repared' with paint. Those repairs are unfortunately very visible. I hope that the striking difference is reduced a bit by the next clear coat (I clear coated the decals, then put the black color on top of that):

E07xlbS.jpg?1

Given that the decals were really uncooperative, I decided to paint the two red stripes that mark the security area for the prop. This brought by some other issues:

JvMRFQS.jpg?1

As you can see, I got some paint under the masking tape and I screwed up the alignment on the aft stripe. Meh, still looks better than the decals ever would have... :shrug:

Another big milestone is the new canopy. HpH delivered and I must say that their canopy really is an improvement over the Revell offering. Nice clear resin with beautiful rivet detail and it fits the kit like a glove! It better be good though, because it set me back almost as much as the kit did... :doh:

ZIuCmAG.jpg?1

And, last but not least, I got my hands on some oil colors and started weathering. So far I did a panel line wash on the upper wings and some dirtying up of the fuselage as you can already see in the pictures. I might have overdone it a bit, but I really wanted to try things out and so I decided, that this is going to be a dirty bird, even if it crashed and burned after only four months of use. It's a seaplane after all and the sea is quite a nasty working environment. Or so I keep telling myself. :frantic:

Still to come: Weathering of the lower wing surfaces and the belly and especially the floats. Then I'm going to try to add some salt staining to the plane. Then a flat coat and THEN I will call her done and finally build something else :D

Thanks for looking!

Greets, Jonas

Beautiful work! :goodjob:

Honestly, I don't see any problems with your upper wing-marking solution, or a with the red stripes either until you pointed out what happened, and then I still had to look for any.

All too often we can be our own worst critics.

• 1 month later...

Finished this one today, but didn't take any more pictures of the process. I played around with some oil colors and salt water (bad idea!) for some weathering. Oils turned out quite nice, the salt water not so much, but meh, that's how you learn! Masking doesn't seem to be my strong side either, but in my defense, the masks that HpH included with their canopy were all about a millimeter too small, so I had to correct with tape.

Anyway, here https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=74971 is the link to my RFI thread, I hope you like what you see!

Greets, Jonas