F4U-1 birdcage

fastzx

I dipped the canopy in Future (thanks Loic it worked after about 3 0r 4 dips) and the scratches vanished!!!! so I'll mask them off today, both inside and out and try and finish this up.

Hi guys, thanks for the ecouragement!

Her are some almost finished pics.

I'm adding the decals, scratchbuilt gear, doors from a Trumpeter F4U-1D , scrounged decals, etc

and adding some light weathering (though not too much, as these were almost brand-spanking new machines, reaching VMF-124 in October 1941, and on the Canal in early 1943)

Hopefully today so I can get to my empire of the sun GB J7W1 for this Corsair to have some worthy Japanese opponents!

Here are a few final construction pictures, which are soon to be followed by completed model finished photos.

Jon :P

post-791-1237375918.jpg

I will add more pics as construction continues! :P

I've always wanted to do an early birdcage F4U-1 from VMF-124 the first Corsairs in Guadacanal (just in time for the Feb. 14th massacre) and then on to Munda.

I love the 6 position stars. They just make the "look" of this plane.

To top it off it is a plane of the first Corsair only Ace Kenneth Walsh "lucky 13" because he always flew lead for the fourth flight. He was not superstitious,unlike Cupp who inherited his plane after Ken's tour in the combat zone was over, Cupp had the 13 painterd over and had "lucky 7" painted in place.

If you look hard enough in the reference photos you can see the 13 painted over!!!! I guess Cupp felt 13 was not "lucky"

Jon

post-791-1237376558.jpg

Almost finished maybe I need to have this post moved to just plain group builds thread unless there is a failed, faild group build section LOL

Anyway just have to add the gear, and doors and fare in the windscreen and this baby is done.

Will post pics soon as finished.

Jon

Almost finished maybe I need to have this post moved to just plain group builds thread unless there is a failed, faild group build section LOL

Anyway just have to add the gear, and doors and fare in the windscreen and this baby is done.

Will post pics soon as finished.

Jon

Actually, we've kinda extended the current GB to the end of March, so you've still got some time!