Photo

Let's Talk About RB Productions Wood Grain Stencils!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

I'm interested to hear what people think about using these stencils.

I specifically have a few questions that are not answered at the website or in a review I read online.

1) What are the dimensions of the template?  It seems small and I am concerned that it may not be able to cover an entire panel on a modeling subject depending on what you are doing.

2) How many times can you spray through it before it needs to be cleaned b/c the pattern is not coming out right?

3) What is the difference between the various templates?  #1, #2, #3, #4.  What are the differences?

Is it a scale difference or just a pattern difference?  If they are all the same scale, what is the scale, roughly? 

In some photos the scale of the wood grain seems too large even for 1/32 scale aircraft, but it is hard to judge in close-up photos.  

I'd be grateful to hear what users of these products have to say having seen the results in person.

Thanks,
Jim

#2 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 41,157 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:33 PM

I'm only aware of 2 wood grain stencils from RB Productions. Are there more than that?

Kev

#3 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

I've purchased one, and thus far used it on portions of my Felixstowe interior:
20180217_141552-L.jpg

I just slide it over a bit and sort of blended the joins in. It looks the part and that's as big of an area as you'll paint. It didn't get too dirty, and with care was easy to clean. Next I'll be using it for my Albatross D.Va and I'm excited with the look it'll give me. It's a fantastic tool for Wingnut builds.
  • scvrobeson, Daniel460 and mmaben like this

#4 CANicoll

CANicoll

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:02 PM

I have three of the stencils. and actually there are 4.  The small ones are 50x70mm, the large are 67 by 93mm,  From what I can see the large are two of the smaller templates put together without a seam.

I have not used them yet but look forward to trying them out sometime.

Chris

• LSP_Kevin and ringleheim like this

#5 modelingbob

modelingbob

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

I have the two smaller (50 X 70 MM) ones. Both of mine have different graining patterns. There does not appear to be any scale associated with either of them. I got in about 10 uses before I decided to clean it, and I probably should have waited longer (or not at all!) especially because of my next comment! Cleaning them is a #$%^& because the PE is very fragile. Fortunately, you do not need to clean them very often. The PE is very fragile (didn't I already say that!) and bending them around circular fuselages (ala Albatros!) is quite difficult without destroying them. Working on flat surfaces is no problem though. For my uses, I did not find them very valuable, and much prefer using artists oils for wood graining. As usual YMMV! 

Edited by modelingbob, 18 February 2018 - 08:21 PM.

• Troy Molitor likes this

#6 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

I have the two smaller (50 X 70 MM) ones. Both of mine have different graining patterns. There does not appear to be any scale associated with either of them. I got in about 10 uses before I decided to clean it, and I probably should have waited longer (or not at all!) especially because of my next comment! Cleaning them is a #$%^& because the PE is very fragile. Fortunately, you do not need to clean them very often. The PE is very fragile (didn't I already say that!) and bending them around circular fuselages (ala Albatros!) is quite difficult without destroying them. Working on flat surfaces is no problem though. For my uses, I did not find them very valuable, and much prefer using artists oils for wood graining. As usual YMMV! 

Thanks for this; your comments are very useful to me.

These are the sorts of concerns I have had and I was intending to use them (at least at first) specifically for the exterior fuselage on a WNW Albatros!  

They look extremely delicate and I did notice at the website that it says to NOT scrub them or scape them or touch them at all in the cleaning process.  Just let them soak in some thinner.  That speaks to their fragility.

#7 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

I've purchased one, and thus far used it on portions of my Felixstowe interior:
20180217_141552-L.jpg

I just slide it over a bit and sort of blended the joins in. It looks the part and that's as big of an area as you'll paint. It didn't get too dirty, and with care was easy to clean. Next I'll be using it for my Albatross D.Va and I'm excited with the look it'll give me. It's a fantastic tool for Wingnut builds.

I believe it was your build thread that really turned me onto this product in the first place!  I think the effect you have gotten on those interior panels looks great! 

#8 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

I'm only aware of 2 wood grain stencils from RB Productions. Are there more than that?

Kev

Yes, there are Numbers 1-4 available at the website.  I didn't catch that 2 are small and 2 are larger.

I'm going to go back and have a look.

#9 Radub

Radub

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,208 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

In order to clean these masks I recommend that you soak them in paint thinner overnight and then rinse them. Do not use anything caustic such as "oven cleaner" or other paint removers that use acids as it will attack the brass. My recommendation is to get some isopropyl alcohol or Gunze Sangyo blue label thinner, pour some in a flat container (sandwich box?) or a ziploc bag, place the mask in it and leave it overnight. Then rinse under a tap. If you rub it, it will damage the pattern. The pattern is intentionally fine - that is not a flaw. However, the mask should not clog that easily if used correctly. If you "firehose" thick paint through it, of course it will clog. Keep in mind that when using these masks "subtlety" goes a long way towards getting a credible looking wood. Heavy coats of high-contrast paint will make the wood look scorched and less credible. Well-diluted paint should be applied lightly and misted through the mask. The photos of the Feloxstowe posted by tjtx above illustrate what I mean by "subtle". The effect that he achieved is superb because of its subtlety.  

HTH 

Radu 

• Troy Molitor, Rick Griewski, BiggTim and 1 other like this

For scale model accessories and tools, please visit my store at www.radubstore.com

#10 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

Now that is a nifty product. 

#11 Rick Griewski

Rick Griewski

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

Timely question. I am poised to try my stencils today for the wooden fins on my Rheintochter SAM. They are flat so all should be well. I bought stencils 1 and 2 at the IPMS Nationals. These were labeled 1/48 by the seller. The grain looks a bit smaller on these than stencils 3 and 4. I feel the grain in our scale may be more about the type of wood being portrayed. One can make the grain too large so the wood looks out of scale. I also plan to use these with clear decal stock to address curved surfaces. Stencils 2 or 4 seem destined for the wooden floor of my new P-51D kit.

Have fun always,

Rick
  • BiggTim likes this

#12 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

I've been very curious about this idea too, but reluctant to take the plunge for curved surfaces. I have an Albie in the works as well. Has anyone actually used them on a curved surface with success? 

I also wonder if anyone would be interested in making something like this - https://www.amazon.c...la-400842483772, for scale models? Radu?

Tim

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly), and some others.....

Completed in 2017: Trumpeter Bf109E-4, 1/16 Waffen SS figure

Previous Completions: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#13 modelingbob

modelingbob

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

<<<Has anyone actually used them on a curved surface with success?>>>

I've used it on curved surfaces (Albatros fuselage) with not much success. They are very fragile and you destroy them when they bend (I destroyed one of them by doing this). I don't recommend them for curved surfaces. Flat surfaces work fine. If you want to use them on curved surfaces, use them on flat clear decal paper and then apply the decals to curved surfaces. 

Edited by modelingbob, 21 February 2018 - 06:28 PM.

• Rick Griewski and BiggTim like this

#14 dodgem37

dodgem37

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

You can soak it in Windex overnight to clean it, also.

Sincerely,
Mark
  • BiggTim likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users