Completed - Desert Storm Air to Air refuelling: KA-6D&A-7E

red Dog

Guest Peterpools

RD

Very nice progress and a nice solution of using the red decal on the intake.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Guest Maxim

thanks MAxim, glad to hear that, it will be much better for me to Feather the prop than to make it turning.

Anthony, i plan on using the SAC 1/32 D-704. ref 32095

it's full resin (hard one) so quite heavy. It needs a lot of sanding as there's a moulding step. But it's the only guy in town if i'm not mistaken

img_0369.jpg

(picture from IPMS USA - all crédits to them)

If the hose is extended the RAT will be turning. Don't know if I made myself clear.  Sorry if I didn't.

that would then be unrealistic Steve, as the hose for the D-704 will not be deployed :)

I know it's a complicated and confuseing issue :)

Look again at the picture:

buddy_pod.jpg

no hose deployed, the ram prop is feathered

i thought it might be an aperture issue of the camera, but then the ram prop wouldn't be feathered as it is clearly in the picture above. If it's feathered like this, it's definitely NOT turning

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the walk around pictures. lots of interesting shots for the KA-6D in there

I travelled quite a bit lately so my bench time was limited but I'm slowly getting back to my favourite place :)

Mr Surfacer was sprayed to check the sanding of the doors mostly and as usual further corrections were done with cyanocrylate glue and more sanding. I mostly use glue rather than putty because I never quite found a putty that supports engraving correctly.

The fuselage vents are flat and not of the nicest effect, so I tried to open them up but made a mess. 

A6A7_168_A6_vents.png

A6A7_169_A6_vents.png

So I sanded all 4 of them flat and replaced them with cotton buds tubes cut at an angle. 
Much more to my liking ;) 

A6A7_170_A6_vents.png

The whole model was preshaded with a a mix of XF-22 RLM grey and white, which gave me a kind of khaki-grey colour perfect for preshading the navy white and the navy light gull grey

Not as contrasted as the usual black I use but still dark enough to provide chromatic variation. I didn't exactly follow panel lines but rather worked in clouds and emphasized the shadows area. Well I tried ...

The model was then painted with Navy white and Light gull grey from MRP. 
Both will be my base colours for the weathering. 

A6A7_171_A6_basic_paint.png

The navy white is so different than regular white. It's the first time I use this color and always have been painting US navy birds with regular flat white, A mistake I won't do anymore....

The tail circle was masked and painted with such regular white. the difference is an eye opener.

A6A7_175_A6_basic_paint.png

The fuselage right under the canopy and the ECM antenna will need some more touch-ups. I couldn't resist and painted the black anti-glare panel. Always tricky to get these curves symetrical, the new curving tamiya tape helped a great deal. 

A6A7_174_A6_basic_paint.png

Although most will be invisible, I decided to paint the  flaps and slats inner parts in red.

Having chosed such an in flight configuration, I'm a bit frustrated I'll miss the nice red colour of an intruder with everything hanging, I guess that will be for the next one :)

All leading edge were painted with Radome colour (H318) darkened a bit (but not enough on second thoughts) with middle stone H71. both from Gunze.

A6A7_176_A6_basic_paint.png

Now comes the fun part :) 

Edited by red Dog

On 6/19/2018 at 4:02 AM, red Dog said:

that would then be unrealistic Steve, as the hose for the D-704 will not be deployed :)

I know it's a complicated and confuseing issue :)

Look again at the picture:

buddy_pod.jpg

no hose deployed, the ram prop is feathered

i thought it might be an aperture issue of the camera, but then the ram prop wouldn't be feathered as it is clearly in the picture above. If it's feathered like this, it's definitely NOT turning

704 power switch on in the cockpit, ram starts turning. Reach down and toggle the extend switch, hose comes out. Yellow light followed by green light when receiver is plugged and gas is flowing. Receiver backs out, yellow light. Red light is bad, normally loss of hydro. Activate retract switch, hose comes back in (hopefully, my first flight off the boat the Prowler that just took gas said the basket came off, the hose by itself still retracted). Once retracted, 704 power switch off, ram blades feather. 

I normally powered up the 704 box after getting overhead for package checks (ram turning). As the checker/receiver was on bearing line with good closure I would extend the hose. After checks or passing gas, receiver would slide to my 4 o’clock position and give me a thumbs up when the hose was in, and another thumbs up when I killed the power to the box and the ram stopped turning and feathered. It’s been 20 years and I can still go through the steps in my sleep. 

Collin

MRP #99 for the US navy white and MRP#98 for the Light gull Grey

Spent a few hours this week-end to paint some touch ups like painting the DECM antennas white and make the walkways

[img=A6A7_177_A6_Walkways.png]

As usual I painted them with a texture rust oleum paint, then sprayed MRP#100 for dark gull grey and made some touch up with smoke and lighter gull grey (MRP-98)

The trick with this textured product is to refrain to cover the surface completely, just a bit of texture is enough even if the paint from the can remains transparent. Otherwise the coat is way too thick. The second trick is to  make sure you cover the model completely, this is going everywhere.

Summer break now and I'll be back in Septembre with the finishing touches on the model

Have a great time gents

Collin,

Thanks for your input :) I appreciated the ref and the trip down your memory lane !

Much useful to nail the 704 ram question

Edited by red Dog