My 109 Addiction: Bf109G6 in 1/48: Build-off! Complete

Gazzas

Brilliant thread Gaz! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do such a comparison build. I really like the looks of Tamiya's offering although I have no doubt Eduard's kit builds up in to a very nice 109. Tamiya's engineering is unbelievable. Now if only Tamiya would do this in 1/32nd! I just don't want to go back to 1/48th.

Two thumbs up from me Gaz.

Cheers,

Wolf

Mate that looks nice. I got my Tamiya kit the other day and whilst it is a marvel of engineering, I was left a little non plussed by the overall package finish. Call me a heretic! I cannot put my finger on it but I just prefer the Eduard offering (at this stage). It might all change when I start to build but your thread is certainly a great place to compare.

Regards,

Brilliant thread Gaz! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do such a comparison build. I really like the looks of Tamiya's offering although I have no doubt Eduard's kit builds up in to a very nice 109. Tamiya's engineering is unbelievable. Now if only Tamiya would do this in 1/32nd! I just don't want to go back to 1/48th.

Two thumbs up from me Gaz.

Cheers,

Wolf

Wolf,

Thank you very much!  I too would much rather have this in 1/32.  I hope that sales of this kit will spur them into larger scale.

Mate that looks nice. I got my Tamiya kit the other day and whilst it is a marvel of engineering, I was left a little non plussed by the overall package finish. Call me a heretic! I cannot put my finger on it but I just prefer the Eduard offering (at this stage). It might all change when I start to build but your thread is certainly a great place to compare.

Regards,

Kent,

Thank you!  There are some finer points of detail that the Eduard kit has over the Tamiya kit, but I haven't shown them as of yet.  On some surfaces, like the canvas covered controls, they both look good, but different.  So, I'm sure that no matter how good each one is, both will have their staunch proponents.

''

Gaz

Hi everyone,

In between bouts with the ecosystem hitherto called "the pool", I've been piecing together the larger exterior parts of the Tamiya 109.  As the rear third of the canopy dries in position the kit looks like this:

0ZrJbU.jpg

Everything is pretty much falling into place, so I'll let you see how the control surfaces look at the angles set by Tamiya's engineering.

The Landing gear are glued into place though the wheels are only held on with blutack.  I'll flatten the place where they contact the ground eventually.

QM4TQV.jpg

All of the wing control surfaces have firm attachment points.  No need for pins at all.  Once you set them into place, they're staying.

KeOuLH.jpg

There's no facility for making the ailerons out of the 'level' position.

bIoYqZ.jpg

JtW14m.jpg

Just like the old Tamiya E, the slats can be deployed or retracted... all you gotta do is shorten the two rectangular pins that go into the wing.

Thanks for looking,

Gaz

Hi again,

Now we come to the part of the Tamiya kit where we have to say:  "Damn I wish I had seen that earlier".

I've had a feeling for a while that the engine bearer arm might not be perfectly straight.  I really didn't have a way to check, that I could think of, that would allow me to be sure that everything would end up smartly.

But, it hasn't.  Apparently, the bearer arm seems to be twisted a little bit at the base.  I can twist it back to get a better alignment of the "closed" engine covers, but eventually they twist back out of alignment.  Here are some pictures:

PM6mSX.jpg

B9gdcC.jpg

gAC11J.jpg

r4gVg7.jpg

SxFzYC.jpg

Now that I've had a chance to see and analyze the problem, I think the best solution would have been to remove the bearer arm close to it's attachment to the fuselage, and then to pin it with a stiff brass rod before I even considered closing up the fuselage.

Fortunately, it can be displayed with everything open hiding the twist in the front end.

I don't really blame Tamiya.  It's plastic after all. 

Gaz

Guys,

Thank you for the positive responses.  I appreciate your input.

In the end I couldn't live with the engine and front end being misaligned.   For some time I ruminated on a possible solution.  In the end I decided to sever the the engine bearer from the rest of the fuselage.

uUj95b.jpg

The engine bearer is disconnected from the fuselage.  Yet, the engine is still attached by engine components which were glued on later.

After separating the bearer, I tested alignment of the cowling parts:  (next three photos)

19zxYL.jpg

fwflmZ.jpg

KkHxQR.jpg

fX8atc.jpg

6wP0gZ.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz