• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

This is often repeated so I'll do it again.

I recently saw a Topping model of a large model of an airplane on eBay. The scale was wrong. So I wrote the seller and gave them the directions for finding the actual scale of  the model. Topping produced many display models of various airplanes they were almost all in 1/40 scale.  

Here is what I said: 

UNLESS YOU LOVE TO GET NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS I SUGGEST THAT YOU CORRECT YOUR LISTING. THE SCALE OF THIS MODEL IS 1/40, NOT 1/32 OR 1/24. THE WINGSPAN OF THE REAL AIRPLANE IS 44 FEET (REFER WIKIPEDIA) MULTIPLY 44 (FEET) X 12 (INCHES) TO CONVERT THOSE FEET  TO INCHES. DIVIDE THOSE INCHES BY THE WINGSPAN OF THE MODEL (IN INCHES) AND YOU GET 40. THE SCALE OF THE MODEL IS 1/40. ALMOST ALL OF TOPPINGS MODELS WERE MADE TO A SCALE OF 1/40.

The model is the 

NORTH AMERICAN [U.S.A.F.] T-39 SABRELINER JET, TOPPING PLASTIC ABS MODEL STATUE #282799844406

They wrote me a nice reply thanking me for the info. Also they corrected the scale on their listing.

That is why I never refer to "evilbay". It should be ignorant-bay maybe, since most of the sellers I have dealt with since the 1990's have been honest,  but at worst ignorant, not evil nor stupid. 

• Harold, BiggTim and Gigant like this
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#2 BiggTim

BiggTim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

Haha! I thought I was the only one who actually helped people correct their screwy model listings!

Edited by BiggTim, 20 January 2018 - 04:45 PM.

• ssculptor and MARU5137 like this

In progress: 1/32 Trumpy P-38L (very slowly), and some others.....

Completed in 2017: Trumpeter Bf109E-4, 1/16 Waffen SS figure

Previous Completions: Hasegawa F6F-3 Hellcat, Hase Me-163 Jagerfaust , 1/16 Fokker DVII Scratchbuilt Wooden Skeleton

#3 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

That’s exactly what you wrote? All in caps, and basically saying you better do this, followed by a basic math lesson? Comes across as arrogant and condescending to me. Were you going to bid on the kit, or just ran across it and decided you needed to interject?

If i has gotten a message like that, I would have fixed the listing, but you wouldn’t have gotten a nice reply.
  • Jeff and DesTROYer like this

#4 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

My thought as well.  All caps = SCREAMING!!!

• Jeff likes this

"It's all part of the show..."

#5 RBrown

RBrown

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

My thought as well.  All caps = SCREAMING!!!

Are you saying that you actually hear a screaming voice in your head when you read caps?

#6 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:58 PM

Perhaps he put it in caps as the forum doesn't give the option to do italics or bold, and he wanted to make some of his words distinct from the rest.

And if you hear screaming in your head when you read all-caps, then you might need anti-psychotic meds.

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa, Trumpeter F6F Hellcat   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A

#7 Vandy 1 VX 4

Vandy 1 VX 4

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

When I was in school for architecture and engineering they told us to write all in caps. I work with a lot of doctors. They usually write in caps. So I always writing in capital letters. But when I type I do it the correct way

Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker :beer4:

#8 EvilCarrot

EvilCarrot

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

When I read all-caps I instantly think of this:

No offense meant :P
  • ssculptor and CATCplSlade like this

#9 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

YES! ALL CAPS LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING!!!

Edited by wunwinglow, 20 January 2018 - 08:36 PM.

• Jeff likes this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#10 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:43 PM

‼️DANGER‼️‼️WARNING‼️‼️ATTENTION!‼️‼️BEWARE!‼️‼️LIVE WIRE‼️‼️TOXIC‼️

Hmm, cooked my own vegetarian pasties today, using diced swede, finely chopped onion and thinly sliced potato. I used the timer to make sure they were not
‼️BURNT‼️

:frantic: I think the recipient of the message was probably in shell shock :frantic:

Tony
Finally spraying again

#11 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:25 AM

That’s exactly what you wrote? All in caps, and basically saying you better do this, followed by a basic math lesson? Comes across as arrogant and condescending to me. Were you going to bid on the kit, or just ran across it and decided you needed to interject?

If i has gotten a message like that, I would have fixed the listing, but you wouldn’t have gotten a nice reply.

Aw, I am supposed to be a nice guy and sugar coat my correction so I do not hurt his precious feelings? Did it ever occur to him to try to find the exact scale before listing the wrong one? It is this attitude of "it don't matter what I say, screw the buyer" that leads the seller to make erroneous listings and then we have to ask the moron to return not only all my money (item plus shipping) but also pay for my shipping it back to him. He most often then complains about evilbay when his sloppy attitude is what causes the problem in the first place. When I make an error of judgement I accept the responsibility for it, I do not get upset because I was sloppy in making my listing. 

One of the problems with dealing on eBay is that so many people are "poor babies" whose feelings are hurt when they screw up and it is pointed out to them.  :crying:

Edited by ssculptor, 21 January 2018 - 02:48 AM.

• Jeff and Gigant like this
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#12 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:30 AM

When I read all-caps I instantly think of this:

No offense meant :P

That is funny!  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I am amazed he could type that fast without making typos. I admire that typing skill.

:punk:

The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#13 Gigant

Gigant

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:34 AM

Personally, I found your short math lesson refreshing, Sculptor.

:innocent: Tom

My photo album: https://www.flickr.c...1984@N04/albums

#14 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:44 AM

‼️DANGER‼️‼️WARNING‼️‼️ATTENTION!‼️‼️BEWARE!‼️‼️LIVE WIRE‼️‼️TOXIC‼️

Hmm, cooked my own vegetarian pasties today, using diced swede, finely chopped onion and thinly sliced potato. I used the timer to make sure they were not
‼️BURNT‼️

:frantic: I think the recipient of the message was probably in shell shock :frantic:

Tony

Not really. I received a nice letter in reply where they thanked me for calling their attention to the error and thanking me for showing them how to determine the correct scale. Then they immediately corrected the mistake on their lisiting.

Not all of us in eBay land give a fig about how the message is typed. It is the content that matters.

I often correct sellers who are trying to sell their items without alienating the customer so much that they end up with a negative feedback. Even when I remember to use normal upper and lower case letters I get, once in a while, some jerk who gets all pissed off not because he made the error but because I pointed the error out to him and showed him how to correctly determine the scale. 

Some folks never mature past the age of seven. Or is it because if brains were shoes some guys would be barefoot up to their noses.

The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#15 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 12:12 PM

I don't get the all caps = screaming thing.

The only people who mention that at forums like this one tend to be the types who spend way too much time interacting with humans in a virtual community as opposed real humans in real life.  It's kind of a computer geek thing.  

Written words don't make sound.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users