Hasegawa Bf 109F-4 Trop - captured by SAAF - additional pix

SinuheH

Hi gents

my last contribution for 2013……..

AX-? is probably the most famous Bf 109 captured by the SAAF. She was captured by 1 Sqn (hence, the AX codes), test flown quite extensively until pranged….

Her sister is stored at the War Museum in JHB.

A bit rushed to get in finished before year's end…. no quite happy with some parts… oh' well.

I lost one of the exhausts - in the F-4 Hasegawa has each individual exhaust as a single item… anyhow,  it went walk about after bouncing off the table… so I had to use a spare set of Ki 61 exhausts…...

Best for the New Year!

11673876866_a55a979fd0_o.jpg
109-a by Saaffan, on Flickr

11673464594_12b0194d37_o.jpg
109-b by Saaffan, on Flickr

Edited by SinuheH

Very nice and an interesting subject.  Really like the subtle weathering.  In my experience, outer extremities of the aircraft tend to stay pretty clean, whilst engine areas can/do dirty up a bit, so I like this weathering.  Seen the sister, which interestingly must have lost it's tyres due to aging/perishing?  So they have been replaced with rather well made wooden copies! 

I have seen both the 109 and Fw190 at said museum.  German sheet metal work was exquisite, virtually the whole aircraft is flush rivited.  How they managed to keep up that build quality whilst having their butts bombed to smithereens is.... scary!

Edited by Jimmyjet

Very nice and an interesting subject.  Really like the subtle weathering.  In my experience, outer extremities of the aircraft tend to stay pretty clean, whilst engine areas can/do dirty up a bit, so I like this weathering.  Seen the sister, which interestingly must have lost it's tyres due to aging/perishing?  So they have been replaced with rather well made wooden copies! 

I have seen both the 109 and Fw190 at said museum.  German sheet metal work was exquisite, virtually the whole aircraft is flush rivited.  How they managed to keep up that build quality whilst having their butts bombed to smithereens is.... scary!

Thanks James, i saw the sister last year - it is one of my favourite haunts in SA.

I'm always surprised at how small the 109 is!

WOW !!Beautiful…....Harv

Thanks Harv!

Sinuhe

Awesome looking 109 .. just a gem.  Nixe clean work --- just my style

Peter

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Peter!

Nice unusual scheme! Looks great!

Thanks Ray!

Another really nice build from you mate. Looks great! I'd love to publish this one on the website too if you'd permit me.

Kev

Thanks Kev, please go ahead - was originally intended for the GB - but I once agin got ahead of myself!

Best for the New Year!