XS-Models Hughes H-1

LSP_Kevin

I was scratching around trying to figure out what I could start working on while waiting on bits and pieces to finish various other projects, briefly toying with the idea of starting another vac kit after having such a blast with my first one. That build was an answer to one of my three main modelling resolutions for 2013; two weeks in and I've built a vac kit.

The second modelling resolution was to build a resin kit, so what better way to continue how I started than to pull one out and get going! I've chosen the XS-Models Hughes H-1 short-wing racer:

8rJzLr.jpg

Andreas from XS-Models sent me this kit to review, and I've been wanting to build it ever since. Most of my other resin kits are from Silver Wings, and there's no way I want to tackle a biplane for my first resin kit! (Or a resin kit for my first biplane, for that matter.)

The kit itself has all the major components in resin, with a bag of white metal parts, a PE fret and a couple of vacform canopies. There is also a couple of small decal sheets.

SOP5rP.jpg

The first thing to do is take all the resin parts out of their bags and give them a good scrub in warm soapy water:

hYRaWj.jpg

If you look carefully you can see some water still beading up on the parts, so I followed this up with a generous wipe-down with Windex (an ammonia-based window cleaner). Whether this is enough to remove all the mould-release agent, I guess we'll find out!

The parts are now ready for clean-up, which they need quite a bit of. I plan to test-assemble all the major components after that to get an idea of any potential hazards and pitfalls. But that's for the next update!

Kev

After a vac, resin will be cake.

BTW, cured resin is usually very chemically resistant. Most of the time, you can get away with something harsh, like lacquer thinner, but I'd test it on some pour blocks before you commit. Denatured alcohol is pretty harsh on styrene, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the resin and it'll take any mold release off they may have used.

Can't wait to see how this one goes!

Chris

IS IT DONE YET? IS IT DONE YET? IS IT DONE YET?

Ha! Funny man. I'm still cleaning up the resin and test-fitting the parts (in between catching up on site updates and preparing to go back to work on Thursday). The casting is certainly not as crisp and flawless as that of Silver Wings for instance, and so far the fit is proving to be a bit agricultural, but taping parts together is not the same gluing them. The main challenge so far looks to be getting both the main wing assembly and its rear fairing part to fit into the fuselage cut-out happily. They each fit nicely enough on their own, but don't seem to get on so well when brought together.

I'll get some photos up a bit later on.

Thanks for you interest folks!

Kev

That's the coolest one !

I take a seat too !

:popcorn:

In opposition to what my builds may show… Racers are my thing !

Started this one… loooong ago! 'stalled when I started to rebuild the wheel wells…

I completely agree with the casting… but it's still a very good starting base !!!

"My" engine was a bit crude and did not look very… hummm... :crying:

So I got my hands on two WB Twin Wasp Jr. sprues…

... You got me ? :coolio:

It should look 1000x better than the rough piece of resin of the kit!

One would just have to find a solution to attach it to the firewall.

An other option I went for is the very nice Vector R1830 …

(this one : http://www.martola.com.pl/en143/produkty41959/r_1830_style - nothing to do with the store, 'was just the first I found on the Net)

… with a few modifications (mainly crankcase if I remember right) may work, or look as a P&W Jr. - almost too much if you keep the cowls closed !

Anyway… I also have some documentation you might be interested in, Kev'…?

(photos, plans …)

;)

Anyway… I also have some documentation you might be interested in, Kev'…?

(photos, plans …)

;)

Thanks for the offer Roland my friend, but being my first resin kit, I'm planning to build this one pretty much OOB. I think there'll be enough challenges in just getting everything to fit together nicely, not to mention achieving that highly-polished fuselage! About the only non-box option I'm considering is using paint masks for the lettering on the wings, rather than the supplied decals.

I am curious though about the instruction in the kit to paint the wheel wells 'wood'. The first question that obviously comes to mind is 'what colour is that?'. But the other lingering question I have is 'why?' Were they actually made of wood? Or just painted some woody brown colour? If so, (again) why?

Anyway, my plan is to not get too hung up on those sorts of issues, and just get through my first resin kit.

Kev

I understand !

My first one was the "easy" Aerotech MC72 : nothing to deal with silly undercariages and wheel wells ! :lol:

But there is nothin' to be scared about a resin kit !!!

The only "secret" is dryfitting !
If you do it 3x on an injected model, do the process 10x and 2 times slower on a resin model ! +1 or 2 extra to be "extra-sure" !

I use 3 solutions for glueing :
1. Superglue (thin). But you have to be "super-sure" about your "super dryfitted" assemblies !
I usually use the thin one for the capilarity aspects.
2. Superglue (thick ones), not immediate bond and a good cure for larger joints.
3. Epoxy, leaves you even a bit more time to think about it, but it can be (is) a pain to remove the excess and to sand it…

Still according to my memory, the only things that should need extra attention (and maybe work) on this one are the attachement of the wings to the fuse', the cowl assembly and the fin attachement.

But all assemblies should leave you with plenty of space to allow putty to have a good grip ! :DodgeBall:

For the colour of the WW, a half yes : wood!
the portion of the wheel wells in the fuselage is made of aluminium and as the wing structure is mainly of wood, so the rest (the portion in the wing) the wood structure is visible.
(BTW, the WWs should be a "square" structure and not half round…)

In the same thoughts, the split flaps were made from aluminium whilst the opening in the wing is of wood as well.

PS. PM sent ;)