Revell's ancient P-40E AVG markings - real or fictitious?

Roy Noras

Agreed - back in the day Box Art was key to deciding which kit to buy.  :)

Peter

I totally agree, some of us guys used to keep the box art, as 'art'..... and I agree, it was the box art that helped me decide which model to buy, event today ( at 60) I STILL love good box art................... so what happened?/ I often wonder why most of the box art is so generic and sterile, is it the 'politically correct' thing these days, don't want to hurt feelings? Just curious, as we all like a good bit of classic art, at least I sure do.....it does take me back to a simpler time for sure....... oh , oh.................. does that mean I'm 'simple'?? :mental: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Wrong or not, that was some pretty awesome box art! Definitely made a lot of youngsters want to buy the kit back in the day.

I really love that boxart!!! The kit was one of my first 1/32 planes.

Actually I am starting a new project. I was thinking of building another P-40, but using the more modern kit from Hasegawa. As a tribute to the old Revell kit I would use the same markings as that one. I then started searching for pictures and some more info about the plane, which led me to the info mentioned above.

(-: Roy

That was the first 1:32 aircraft I ever built. Great memories.

Edited by MikeC

One of the changes was the "Truth in advertising" campaign which started in the mid/late '70s. That is when we started to see built kits on box tops.

There's TRUTH in advertising???????? Huh................. who knew............................

One of the changes was the "Truth in advertising" campaign which started in the mid/late '70s. That is when we started to see built kits on box tops.

That kind of bummed me out.  I loved (and still love) good box art.

Tim W.

Waddya mean it inspired you all to buy it back then? I have collected most of the 1970s Revell kits over the last 2 or 3 years just for the nostalgia! They still inspire me now!

I did exactly the same, collected them during a long period of years, though i didn't build them when i was young, but indeed boxart is very inspiring!!

Hasegawa's P-40 E is a great kit and it has markings for Ed Rector's machine, which is similar to that depicted on the original Revell box art...

41800780454_c7482e0c3f_h.jpg   

Earlier 104 even sported the Nationalist Chinese markings on the wings, which can barely be discerned in the photo below.

27653327577_63cfa66900_o.jpg

I've not seen any "E" models in anything other than OD over grey (which is how I painted this one).

The two-tone camo was on the B/Cs and was the original RAF finish (just like the P-400s).   I love the Chinese markings and "US Army" on the underside of the wings.

Tim W.