Encouraging News re: a 1/32 TBD Devastator

Bill M.

As we continue to wait for that 1/32 TBD, it might be worthwhile to recount the history and consider the likelihood that we will ever see an injection-molded TBD. Frankly, I am discouraged.

The TBD was announced by Trumpeter years ago, like around 2006. It continues to appear on Trumpeter's “coming†lists year after year— but nothing has appeared. During that time, it has been reported that Trumpeter's chief kit designer had left Trumpeter and went to work for Kittyhawk models. And then there were unconfirmed rumors that Kittyhawk might do a 1/32 TBD. Seemed reasonable if the former Trumpeter kit designer was behind Trumpeter's TBD. But again, years have passed, new Kittyhawk kits have come and gone, and still no TBD kits. Not even a confirmation or acknowledgment of the “unconfirmed rumorsâ€. I have to admit that a 1/32 TBD kit is not likely at this point. With the KH rumors and Trumpeter's hollow announcements, I doubt that another manufacturer willl see fit to jump in and invest the money to bring out a 1/32 TBD, thinking that a new TBD kit has been staked out by others. Although I think that a TBD would be a good seller, I am starting to think that all the manufacturers have decided to pass on the TBD for other projects. All very discouraging!

Bill M.

Corroborative evidence -

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TU02226

- suggests that the ORIGINAL date of the Trumpeter TBD Devastator announcement was, guess it, nothing less than...

May 2004. That's er, flibberdibberdy doodibberdy, shucks, something like 14 years. My guess is, "that's all folks!"

Tony

I don't doubt this. I just remember that it was announced by 2006. Yes, after 14 years, I doubt that Trumpeter will ever release a TBD. As much as I would love to see a TBD, probably time to move on. Maybe HPH or Silver Wings will do one someday.

Bill M.

Corroborative evidence -

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TU02226

- suggests that the ORIGINAL date of the Trumpeter TBD Devastator announcement was, guess it, nothing less than...

May 2004. That's er, flibberdibberdy doodibberdy, shucks, something like 14 years. My guess is, "that's all folks!"

Tony

Over at armorama we had a fellow constantly tell us the powers that be had decided the abominable Italeri Bergepanther would be the only 1/35 kit of that vehicle we would ever see, for many of the same reasons given for the Devastator.

This year we have at least five variations from three different manufacturers coming very soon.

As the song says, "Sooner or later everything comes to light. Later is now." For some things (the Bergepanther) later has arrived.

Who here anticipated a Ki-45 in 1/32?

If Tamiya did it, everyone would buy a Battle.

If Hasegawa did it, a lot would.

If HpH did it, they'd be lucky to sell fifty.

If Trumpeter did either, they'd sell in China regardless of inaccuracies.

WE, as Maru mght state, don't MATTER

Tony

... Of all the overlooked Britishers, I'd love to see the Barnes Wallis masterpiece, the Vickers Wellington. It might be one of the ugliest bombers ever built, but it sure was a tough old bird ...

I remember a while back that HKM were looking at slating one for future release ... whether it's still on the 'to-do' list given their current release schedule (Spey Phantom, Ju-52, P-51B etc), I have no idea.

Given their work on the Lanc and it's potential to sell very well ... it may reignite any dormant interest?

Rog :)

I agree. I think a 1/32 TBD would find a big market, particularly in the US. Because of its sacrifice at Midway (some would say “slaughterâ€) it has almost achieved mystical status among WW2 US naval aviation fans. And it would build into an incredibly impressive model in 1/32 scale. But we'll never know if one is never released. Sigh!!

Bill M.

A large scale Battle would sell well. You'd have major markets in the UK, Canada, Australia, Poland, South Africa as well as small numbers flown by Turkey, Poland, India and Ireland. As for the Devastator, I don't know, it does make it hard that only the USN flew them and there's 3 colour schemes. I wonder how well the Great Wall Hobbies kit sold in 1/48.