1/48th Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

tomprobert

great work Tom! I recently bought the 72nd version of that and have been having serious doubts about where I will put it. I can't even begin to image where you would display a 48th scale version of this... You must have a very big house and an even more understanding missus

Another detail pic Tom, found over on HS. I think the lightning strips on the radome may be a new-ish thing.

I guess after nearly 60 years we'd all get a bit wrinkly, and the creasing fore and aft of the wing is obligatory, but this one (60-0023) is getting to look as shagged out as a WWII Lancaster.

40316360524_c2c4a73f2f_o.jpg

Photo credit: Clifford Bossie                                                                      

Edited by Chek

Great work Tom... I have posted some photos on my site from when I was on base with the B-52's back in 2016... they might help. I also have a few more of the tail etc that aren't on the link, but if you need them just ask..

Here - radleighbushell.com/sabre-strike-16/  

;)

Edited by Radders

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon, folks  :)

An update, albeit small, on the BUFF's progress of late...

With the engine pylons sanded, re-sribed and tested for size, each twin engine pod was glued to its respective pylon:

27377362208_4088f370d2_z.jpg

The fit was pretty good, and only minimal trimming was needed to get an acceptable join. A smidgen of Millput did the rest:

39441704920_2e9fba396f_z.jpg

With the sun shining I've given them a spray with some grey surface primer:

27377354158_e7c2a6bdde_z.jpg

I'm pleased I invested the time to open up the vented areas at the rear of the bypass sections - it was fiddly but has improved the look of the engines, especially in this scale:

39441721140_ac5402bb17_z.jpg

Now I'll need to add the more delicate details such as some drains and vents, as well as re-sribing the panel lines on the engine pods:

26378440497_e2fe8e070a_z.jpg

I may put the engines to one side for a while though as I fancy having a crack at the wings and making all of the ever-so-necessary spars that'll be needed to keep the thing rigid...

I've also been doing some research into colour schemes and am really tempted with the 1970s - 1980s three tone green over white scheme (used for illutrative purposes only):

39442251470_565d771c38_z.jpg

It'll certainly make it more visually interesting when compared to the all-over grey schemes they currently wear, but the thought of spraying something this size with all that white...  :hmmm:

Until next time,

Tom

If it helps your research, that's the SIOP scheme you're considering.

(Single Integrated Operational Plan - i.e. for tactical nuclear deployment, as opposed to strategic use).

Noteworthy in the photo below, is the thickness of the inboard wing section. It was the advanced aerodynamics Boeing developed for that wing section and its fuselage junction that made the B-52 an intercontinental winner to this day, and the identically powered YB-60 (Convair's jet B-36) a poor and forgotten also-ran.

grand_forks_b_52h_in_siop_scheme_by_f16c

Also regarding the white, I found that 1/2 litre white automotive primer worked well on a 1/72 XB-70. (Not quite as large as your BUFF, but getting there). Some would recommend Appliance White from the same source, but I preferred the matt primer that can be wet sanded and polished to a finish as smooth as porcelain, which to me made a much nicer semi-gloss. Or you could keep buffing to a full gloss to taste.

Just stand the aerosol can(s) in a bowl of hand hot water for 10 minutes, and spray outside on a dry, still day and large white areas will no longer inspire any fears.

Edited by Chek

I say you go Natural Metal and White.  

Or and All White with a Blue Stripe NASA bird.

Gunship is the easier finish IMHO. 

I live at Barksdale AFB where Memphis Belle IV graces the ramp

Also Maj. Gen. Paul Tibbets IV, Grandson to the Enola Gay Paul Tibbets Jr.

Sorry for the ramble.....jet fuel fumes 

Love the Big Buff

Jack

Chek - that's a great shot! The downward curve of the wing is also very apparent in this picture; a really useful reference so thanks! 

I was considering Appliance White with some other whites being used to pick out certain panels to break up the uniformity of it all - time will tell. It'll depend on how easy it will be to source the bomb wing badges, etc. 

Marauderdriver - I love the idea of the white/NMF birds, but I struggle to get a decent metal finish on a 1/72nd P-51 let alone something this big! I could explore the foil route I suppose, but NMF has always been my modelling nemesis!

I've made a start on the wings. They've been roughly cut from the backing sheet (I haven't sanded them to the correct thickness yet) and I've decided to be bold and do the model with the flaps dropped as is so often seen on the ground. 

Here's the upper surfaces with the small trailing edge flap sections removed:

41228449802_396e91dba7_z.jpg

And the lower, much larger apertures on the lower surfaces along with the outrigger bays:

27399190768_fa409d3a08_z.jpg

And then I stumbled upon a problem...

27399205608_432c9f9789_z.jpg

As you can see, on the port wing the upper and lower apertures for the flaps don't align properly, despite me following the panel lines molded onto the kit. The starboard wing is spot on, but it just goes to reinforce the old saying "measure thrice, cut once." Lesson learned!

Catch you soon,

Tom

Guest Maxim

Man that sucks. Trim the left side so it matches the top and then add strip to the right so they match. Reinforce from the inside for strength.

I was considering Appliance White with some other whites being used to pick out certain panels to break up the uniformity of it all - time will tell. It'll depend on how easy it will be to source the bomb wing badges, etc.

As you can see, on the port wing the upper and lower apertures for the flaps don't align properly, despite me following the panel lines molded onto the kit. The starboard wing is spot on, but it just goes to reinforce the old saying "measure thrice, cut once." Lesson learned!

Catch you soon,

Tom

One of the reasons I would recommend using the matt white primer Tom, is not only can it be buffed up to a gloss or semi-gloss sheen where required, but it can also be locally weathered by rubbing in graphite and weathering powders to break up the uniformity. Much easier than spraying tints of white I find, especially for 1960s white Finningley Vulcans which attracted all sorts of brownish and greyish discolouration when subjected to the carried smoke and grime from what used to be industrial heartlands of Sheffield and Scunthorpe.

You might also like to look at this Flickr collection  which from about halfway down has a fairly comprehensive, hi-res B-52H walkaround, including flaps and flapwells, outriggers and their bays and other bits and pieces you could find useful..

Edited by Chek

Guest Maxim

Tamiya fine white primer would work from the spray can. It can be buffed to a satin sheen. I think the SIOP camo would look great. I like the early G's and H models in natural metal with Hound Dog missiles under the wings.