"Die Bergung" 2/JG400 Germany 1945 - Schlepper work

Out2gtcha

Justin, Mikkel, thanks for dropping in on me.   :) 

Thanks again for the EXCELLENT badges my friend!   These will REALLY set off the project nicely. 

You are very welcome my friend. I'm happy to see it put to good use :-)

Edited by Mebo

Thanks guys!  Really appreciate all the love.

With all the CRAP that has happened in the last week to the house, including the full A/C system needing to be replaced, the hot water heater going out, and a garage door cable snapping on me, I have had 0 bench time. :(  It kinda sucks, but I hope to get a start on this one this weekend.

Im not quite as fast a builder in the summer months, but Ill be getting on this one ASAP, as Ive been really looking forward to it!

Brian, hang a cigarette from someone's mouth to make it exciting. :)

Ha!  I was just thinking about that. I still have a couple long (like over 3 or 4 inch) whiskers from my big guy Sam, that he shed, and I have had good luck with representing a 1/32nd scale smoke:

DSC02644.jpg

DSC02650.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

Good Ideeeer Ernst! 

Looks ace.

Am working on the Profi Modeller Scheuch Schlepper and the Hydraulisch Anhänger at the moment to go with my 163 - very slow builds and lots of patience needed - but getting there!

Iain

Looks ace.

Am working on the Profi Modeller Scheuch Schlepper and the Hydraulisch Anhänger at the moment to go with my 163 - very slow builds and lots of patience needed - but getting there!

Iain

They are nice little kits indeed. LOTS of small little parts, but I have waited for these two kits for a LONG time. 

Update finally!   Some progress as I decided I better start on the Komet itself, and once I get a feel for the size of it in a semi-ready for paint stage, I can move onto the Schlepper and get it to the same stage, to be able to judge where things should go in the dio.

Onto some pics then........

Kicked things off by cutting the Aires pit set off its blocks. Nice set, and im not 100% about fit yet, but so far it looks good and I used a straight razor to get the bottom perfectly flat and smooth. I also assembled the canon while I was at it. The OOB canon are quite buried in the wing, and quite nicely hollow, so no need for any deemed upgrade there.

DSC05727.jpg

DSC05726.jpg

I also glued in the canon covers on the upper wing, and began to rough them in, as well as getting the flying surfaces squared away for assembly:

DSC05725.jpg\

DSC05724.jpg

So far, the fit I have been able to achieve with the main fuse section to wing is giving me hope. Depending on how things go, I may even glue the wings on befor the fuselage 1/2s. Time will tell, but the fit is still good enough to do that to my eye:

DSC05732.jpg

The wings are held in place by a semi-goofy center piece that is glued into each fuse 1/2, but hangs on each 1/2 with tabs. It seems to work, but it just seems like an odd way to get to where you need to go. Hopefully Ill be proven wrong:

DSC05728.jpg

DSC05729.jpg

The fit from front to back seems good so far:

DSC05730.jpg

DSC05731.jpg

Im leaving NO hatches open here, so Im seriously considering attaching each tail section to its respective 1/2 before assembling the fuselage, using the plastic tab method. Ive had good luck in the past with this same method when kits come with bisected fuselages like this. Im hoping it will lead to a more square air-frame when it does come time for assembly:

DSC05733.jpg

All for now lads, but hope to make more progress, as I have a long weekend this and next weekend with the 4th of July coming up. 

Great progress!

I glued the wings to the fuselage halves before joining the fuselage as that gave the ability to apply pressure from the inside to improve the quality of the joint - and I had none of the problems that some have reported.

Iain

Great progress!

I glued the wings to the fuselage halves before joining the fuselage as that gave the ability to apply pressure from the inside to improve the quality of the joint - and I had none of the problems that some have reported.

Iain

Thanks Iain!  Yes, that was EXACTLY my intenetion, as I can get great finger pressure on the wing to fuse joints with the fuse 1/2s not glued together. I can also hang the rear half of the fuse on it on a known flat surface like my giant tile square, and get the complete fuselage square with itself before gluing the whole fuselage together

Sounds like a plan Brian!

I did go around the joint afterwards with Milliput - before wiping/rubbing away the excess with damp kitchen towel whilst still soft, so no sanding would be needed.

Worked for me...

Iain

Sounds like a plan Brian!

I did go around the joint afterwards with Milliput - before wiping/rubbing away the excess with damp kitchen towel whilst still soft, so no sanding would be needed.

Worked for me...

Iain

I might have to try that! I'm hoping for no standing myself

I did very little sanding on mine - but there were gaps - using Milliput in this way where there are panel joints is perfect as it just plugs the gap without any sanding - and commensurate loss of surface detail.

Trick is to force the Milliput as far into the joint as possible with a cocktail stick, or it all just rubs away.

And you can use a cocktail stick to help remove the excess  :)

Iain