Not another Mustang!

Hi Guys,

I've let the metallics cure for a couple of days only to chip a bit with my nail today, so just been touching up again.

40832102350_f8c85e8887_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Different shades, still more to add though:

28684556468_281e9dcab5_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The nose has a few different MMP Metallics on it, still need to mask up and then spray Chrome for the exhaust shroud. 

28767273528_146a0da54c_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Definitely  not enjoying this build at the moment. 

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Work in Progress! At last!

Here's the exhaust shrouds painted with MMP Chrome.

42691782201_c278daf9d8_c.jpgHeader by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

My home made masks going on the port side of the fin.

27823925707_7e87841133_c.jpgTails by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Spraying on NATO Black from MMP with my Olympos SP-B, a super duper detail airbrush.  

41974512444_3f028b860a_c.jpgTails by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The end result.

42643714762_fb1218cfe0_c.jpgTails by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The other side.

40883373890_eff17ec090_c.jpgTails by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the nose anti-glare patch. Already attended to the slight overspray, don't know how that happened!

41974511554_b823e28659_c.jpgTails by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

The next step in the painting is the Stars'n'Bars.  I drew them in AutoCAD, transferred the DXF file to the Silhouette and cut them out on a section of OraMask 810 film.

Here's the first outside mask in place.

27843538607_69a85e7803_c.jpgStars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The other side with kitchen paper as protection from overspray.

41812773935_a2d3acfa55_c.jpgStars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

A blue outline so the white doesn't bleed thru.  Well, that's the plan!

41994159264_9445b9b517_c.jpgStars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Solid white.  All colours from MMP, with their thinner and poly mix.

41994159144_b18813fd1f_c.jpgStars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the other side.

40902224810_729bcef6dd_c.jpgStars by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Now I'm going to leave the paint for a couple of days to cure before I add the mask to cover the white bits and spray the blue.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

A disaster today but it's going to be a good recovery tomorrow.

Managed to crinkle up the next part of the masks to go on, so decided to cut some more on the silhouette Cameo 3.  For some reason I couldn't get the cutter to work, but this was after a software update from Microsoft and one from Silhouette at about the same time.  Unfortunately the Microsoft one didn't do anything to help me turn off their bloody stupid pen and ink gizmo.  I have a Wacom Graphics tablet and pen on my PC which is brilliant for AutoCAD, PhotoShop, etc, but every time I come to write in any wordy type bit, like here on the forums, their useless hand writing box pops up and you can't get rid of it.  USELESS!  I don't want it, didn't ask for it, can't turn it off.

Anyway, when I got back from the local hostelry with my lady, I tried to sort out the Silhouette and got nowhere quick.  But they've got a chat line (perverts!) where they can guide you thru things and with the help of Alexis It's all up and running again.

So early in the morning we are back in business.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

After last night's fiasco with the Cameo 3 not working and messing around with it for ages, I eventually got to bed about 1.30 am, way past my bed time.

So today I haven't actually got much done, except go tot the Post Office to pick up some resin bits from Barracuda in the USA.  As usual, got clobbered for import duty but worth it.  A pile of Mustang wheels and tyres.  Hannants don't have the non-Tamiya Mustang wheels in stock, the ones I ordered from another UK supplier didn't turn up and they aren't answering my e-mails!

But with the Cameo 3 working again I cut another set of Stars'n'Bars and here they are, transferred to the model with Cricut Transfer Tape.  In the next few minutes I'll mix up some MMP Blue with a few drops of Black to get the right shade (or something like it with luck) and airbrush it on with the fine Olympos SP-B.  Once again, crapping myself as this is the first time I've used home-made two part masks, actually 3 if you count the surround.

Starboard side with the star mask in place.  You can see the transfer tape and the "Blue" outline on the base of the stand.

41855260275_756ef0811f_c.jpgBlack Star by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the Port side.

42038345014_f73ac20e07_c.jpgDitto by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

So see you later with the markings looking all neat and tidy.  Famous last words!!!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

Time to clean up the airbrush and have a cup of coffee.  Got the blue onto the fuselage markings, probably too dark.  I used ten drops of MMP Blue with 2 drops Black, should have added a couple more drops of Blue maybe.  Too late, the masking is off!

A slight chip on the white where I was careless with the scalpel lifting the tip of the star.  I'll touch up later.

42707351422_4b3140d847_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And the port side.

41856491075_7efc2c8be1_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Personally I'm not too happy with the whole model.  Trumpeter's input is woefully lacking and I've not contributed anything either.  It's been a fight all the way.  Problem is, I'm thinking of Trumpeter's Me 262 single seater next, another example of the Chinese liking for Gruyere, or Swiss Cheese to our American cousins, holes everywhere!

But wouldn't life be boring without a bit of a challenge?

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Great work! As to the Trumpy 262.......

Have no fear, the 262 and their B model P-51 are WORLDS apart as far as build quality. With the exception of the forward fuselage gun doors, the fit on the Trumpy 262 is pretty good.

Hi Brian,

The fit on the Mustang B actually isn't bad, it's just about everything is wrong.  You can see they've just picked up the first set of plans they could find and steamed in, mob handed. No subtlety, no finesse, no understanding of the subject as a real airplane.  I actually had the 262 out of the box a couple of years ago and balked at filling all the rivet holes but after doing the wings on the Mustang it's relatively easy.  PLUS, and it's a really big PLUS, I'm retired now and I can plonk myself down in front of the TV, model in one hand, filler in the other, filling and sanding all day long.

It took most of a weekend to fill the wings on the Mustang so maybe 3 - 4 days for the 262?  Just a matter of sitting there and doing it. Don't have to run for the train, or drive to the other end of nowhere any more, just make models.

First task is to drain the swamp.  Sorry, I meant finish the Mustang!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby