Not another Mustang!

Hi Guys,

The kit has a dirty great big hole behind the radiator scoop.  So out with the plasticard and a few tools and here's the fix.   obviously it needs a bit of filler and shims, etc, but you get the idea.

Before:

28325630448_43dac4d4a8_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

After:

41298159245_4a43e18027_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

I was looking at Dmtfemade's P-38 build and seen how the over blown rivets on the Trumpeter kit were dealt with. They are pretty huge compared to the Mustang generally. However on further inspection I think the rivets on the B's flaps and Trim Tabs are way OTT so they will get the treatment!

Liked the build so much I'm going to dig my P-38 out of the stash and put it into the “build this†pile!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

I used the old style Tamiya seat in my Hobbycraft P-51A... good the parts are useful!

A question if I may, does the kit come with a Malcolm Hood? I'm curious if I can make a Mustang III...

Regards

Harald

​Hi Guys,

Didn't get much done today, remade the plate under the fuselage seen above as it wasn't quite right.  Then recently I started on the HGW seat belts.  So far I've only got the lap belts made and they were a pain in the butt to build.  The shoulder straps look really complicated and the instructions are worse than useless.  Come on HGW, pull your finger out!

41495196534_870e15501a_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

If I can finish the belts I'm nearer to buttoning up the fuselage and throwing the wings on!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd have a look at the second sheet of decals in the kit as it has a few cockpit items on it. Unfortunately most are way over scale, unuseable in fact. So I'm planning to use selected items from my second Revell D and odd bits from AirScale and whatever I can rustle up.

Not impressed by the lack of any work by Trumpeter to put out a decent kit. Poor research and no sign of a critical test build by anyone.

But not actually downhearted! It's test fit, tinker with, test fit, curse, tinker with, test fit ad infinitum. I didn't expect it to be an easy model to build and it's lived up to expectation!

Back to the grind!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Hi Guys.

First to Iain, you know my totally variable confidence levels, up one day, down low the next.

Ron, if you want a B it's the only game in town. Glad to have you along for the ride, if I can be any help just shout.

Here's the application of a couple of decals on the cockpit sides.  Not from the kit, Trumpeter don't give you any.  I scrounged them from Mike Holloway who used to be Reheat Models, he got out of modelling for a while, like me.  They are some of his left over stock and they are proving really useful.  Yes, you can read the words and they aren't correct but they are only there for effect and if you can read them, you're too close to my model!

42234523201_43efc3294b_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

I hope to have the seat belts finished in about half an hour, so with a bit of luck the fuselage halves will be joined tomorrow.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby.

Edited by Bruce_Crosby

Hi Guys,

Here's the Tamiya early seat with the HGW belts fitted:

42277484361_747e018801_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

The seat assembled to the cockpit unit:

40494081590_a9fdc47719_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

And a test fit.  

27431182787_9b5048c68b_c.jpgUntitled by Bruce Crosby, on Flickr

Having had trouble in the past trying to shove the fuselage halves together and bits falling out all over the place, I decided to take a different tack. Stick something to one side then put the fuselage together with tape while that side sets, so the part stays aligned properly.  Do this for all internal sub assemblies, one by one. Then when you come to put the whole lot together it will all line up with no difficulty.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Edited by Bruce_Crosby