spacewolf

'so a disc was cut out of .060'

With what?  An industrial saw?

cHZw31T.jpg

Love the Monorail!

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

LOL, thanks Mark ! Industrial saw ?... no, they don't let me play with the fun tools after the last unfortunate incident..... :frantic: (joking)

Seriously, cutting thick plastic is easy. Straight cuts are dead simple.. cut with a couple or three swipes with a blade, don't need to force it..

TKFe2QV.jpg

'oil can' the plastic.. bend it first away from the cut...

QyHAKB9.jpg

Then back towards you and the plastic sheers...

wGiC9XM.jpg

Leaving you with a reasonably smooth edge that can be trimmed, and sanded easily.

uN4UL0l.jpg

for circles, use a circle cutter.. again make two or three passes...

akqwTJ2.jpg

I use my fingers to flex big parts but smooth jawed pliers for finer parts.. again, flex away...

UddUrfj.jpg

then back towards you... circles can be more difficult but the technique is the same.. just take it slow and work your way around a bit at a time..

R6TPKmz.jpg

The edge isn't as smooth but will dress up quickly with blades and sanding sticks.

1G3314C.jpg

5jXPplG.jpg

So no industrial tools needed.. just a strong back and weak mind... :mental:

what a wicked idea! I love it and will be watching with interest

I'd love to see more of those super highways to go around the city- that looks really cool

Thanks much ! Glad to have you along.  I have more domes so who knows what may show up here on the forums in future... I just hope someone else tries this and does something REALLY cool !

It feels like I am transported to the late 50's and early 60's, where everything would be fast and super modern... kind of like the best parts of the movie Tomorrowland. Looks like a lot of fun.

Tnarg

Hey Tnarg ! Thanks much for the comment and ya... thats what this project is doing for me... those old 'double book' sci-fi novels, Buck Rogers and Thunderbirds... nostalgia for the days before we actually got to space and all those dreams, flights of fancy and ladies dressed in skin tight space suits... :wub:

I loved Tomorrowland.. a really great movie, just good fun and imagination !!

That is sooooo cool! I loved reading those old Sci Fi novels back in the day, and watching some of the movies where Man makes it to the stars only to find the burned out remnants of doom civilizations. Got a question though. How are you going to fake up the poisoned atmosphere or vacumn? Seems that you would have to expand the model out from the dome to show at least some of  the desolation.

Thanks much !! Ya this is me going back to the 50's.. all those old movies, books and dreams....

As for the atmosphere.. wait for it !! ... more nuttiness to follow ! :evil_laugh:

This is a really neat idea and so far the execution is just fantastic.  

Building a known thing that must be historically accurate from a kit according to a set of instructions can be creatively limiting.

But not what you are doing!  This is all creativity and that city is going to look however you want.  

This is really inspiring work.

I'll be watching for more!

:popcorn:

Thanks so much ! Glad that all you guys are along for the ride. This is great fun to do and having such interest from the group is humbling. More is on the way !!

He's BAAAACK..... :frantic:

Seariously... I'm blown away be all the interest and comments ! Thanks all ! It makes this project all the more special... I'm having fun like I haven't had in years and to have the gang jump in with all these comments makes it all the better... this is one I'm gonna treasure !

Actually this is moving so fast I think I'm channeling my inner 'Russ'... our old friend who left us far too soon. At the rate I'm going with this I might actually finish in his month time limit for a build !!

So... heeere we go ! Update time !! :yahoo:

I cut the dome with a cutting wheel in my dremel tool set on low speed... bits of plastic and dust everywhere but beats trying to cut it with a razor saw !!

LTAjUy6.jpg

Placed on it looks good... but I noticed the plate disc for the city was warping from all the glue used to place the buildings...

MdvMDJG.jpg

The buildings are just about done... shapes are glued on here and there...

ymS4nvi.jpg

XmEfLea.jpg

rOxbE5q.jpg

I planned on putting a ring waterway around the city to aid in hydration of the sealed atmosphere so I cut the inner ring from .040

iDRgDBG.jpg

Glued on, with a few bits n' bobs added it looks good..

t4P6QWy.jpg

But as always my mind was racing ahead... a domed, sealed city... it needs a spaceport/ landing area to supply itself... so off to the long suffering rocket sets and parts box I went !!

The Titan rocket had a neat section so I cut it off and used a disk left over from the Starfury  build as a landing pad. A section of smaller rocket and a bit of scrap made the elevator on the side..

39KQlD7.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

pNk2aVU.jpg

As luck would have it, there were a couple of small rockets that 'almost' were right for the rocket ship shape I wanted.. so I cut the bodies off and swapped out the body of one with the tail of another and boom ! I had my 50's style rocket ship !

pf2prQP.jpg

How cool is this !!??

pJr34A9.jpg