Italeri F-104S ASA Starfighter Tiger Meet

Thanks everyone! The decals are now done. One thing about show birds is they usually have very few stencils applied to them.

IMG_20160724_235353.jpg

IMG_20160724_235413.jpg

IMG_20160727_200405.jpg

I then attached the front windscreen.

IMG_20160727_200400.jpg

Then it was time to start on the MLG. I added the main legs and then started adding in the retraction struts and supports.

IMG_20160727_202500.jpg

IMG_20160727_224040.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Don, the decals are a bit thick and settled in for the most part. There are a couple places where they haven't completely conformed to the panel lines. I used Tamiya extra strong decal set. I may try a coat of Solvaset and see what happens. The good news was there was no silvering which had been an issue for me in the past.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

I find it hard to believe that this isn't done already...

:hmmm:

I know, but I at least I have an excuse or two. I was away on vacation but this was the sight that greeted me when I got home.

IMG_20160808_222831.jpg

My first thought was the nose gear had snapped until I flipped the plane over.

IMG_20160808_222915.jpg

It looks like there wasn't enough good on the joint and the leg just pivoted backwards. So thankfully that was a 2 second repair.

IMG_20160808_222929.jpg

Good as new.

I'm leaving the gear doors off until I finish the ejection seat and install it. There are a lot of belts on the seat so they're taking some time to do. I should be done by the weekend.

The other excuse was I started painted the CT-133.

Carl

If you've been off-roading all this time, I assume it's not a problem getting back on the road. Going the other way is much more difficult from my experience because as you get older, your self-preservation instincts tend to override any capability you had off road when you were younger(though, I have more than enough skin loss/broken bones on the road)!

I try to stick to nice smooth trails and wear lot's of protection.

I haven't been off road much at all. Not yet this year anyways.

But you're absolutely right about three urge for self preservation kicking in when you least expect it. There's some trails that I used to ride all the time and rarely had any hesitation on, yet the last time I rode it I was bailing everywhere.

Onto a real if brief update. The Aires cockpit set gives you a very nice ejection seat but with PE belts. Here's the seat all painted:

IMG_20160727_200434.jpg

Now for the hard part, PE belts. The only consolation is that they're not pre-painted. Here's the assembly diagram for the shoulder belts:

IMG_20160814_155809.jpg

And this jumble of bits is what one side looks like when assembled.

IMG_20160814_155831.jpg

From head on:

IMG_20160814_155911.jpg

I painted and then attached the first set of shoulder belts to the seat. I also fitted the two lap belts to get a reasonable drape to them.

IMG_20160814_163909.jpg