Kitty Hawk 1/32 Mirage 2000-5F !!!

SharkOwl

Trumpeter already makes MF and F.13... maybe a resin conversion should work with?

The Eduard 1/48 PF, PFM and MF Fishbeds are stunning kits and make me pine for a large scale PF in particular. The Trumpeter 1/32 F-13 and MF kits were early efforts, and the F in particular requires a great deal of effort including a completely reworked inner windshield, trompe l'oeil inlet and lots of patience - I've had a Finnish F on the SOD for three years. Would love a falls-together shake-the-box new tool.

Hopefully the KH Tiger will be a fun build, though I'm a bit confused as to whether the first release is an F-5F or single seat F-5E?

Tony

• 5 months later...
Guest Airfixer

Has there been any word so far which versions they're planning to wrap up with their projected 2000-5 kit?

Technically speaking, a "-5F" would only comprise the French version.

Any plans to cover the entire "-5/-9" family with a single boxing will necessitate proper subject research as well as some well thought out kit design and parts breakdown  Given the various electronic warfare suites, each member of the "-5" family has its very own set of distinctive (and visible) features. An area where KH hasn't truly excelled, so far.

Edited by Airfixer

Has there been any word so far which versions they're planning to wrap up with their projected 2000-5 kit?

Technically speaking, a "-5F" would only comprise the French version.

Any plans to cover the entire "-5/-9" family with a single boxing will necessitate proper subject research as well as some well thought out kit design and parts breakdown  Given the various electronic warfare suites, each member of the "-5" family has its very own set of distinctive (and visible) features. An area where KH hasn't truly excelled, so far.

I do not think that KH and KH representative in US will answer any of your questions and certainly

not use your expertise for their future Mirage 2000 kit.

I take the liberty to repost the illustration you include on your No.13 post here.

In my mind, modifications to produce a Mirage 2000 C or a -5F or a -9 with some scratch work will

be to the reach & ability of the majority of modelers, expeption made of the cockpits that will certainly

be covered by aftermarket resin and/or photoetch manufacturers.

:popcorn:

SharkOwl

6697936dc498d0489a4bb96abd282406.jpg

Edited by SharkOwl

Guest Airfixer

I do not think that KH and KH representative in US will answer any of your questions and certainly

not use your expertise for their future Mirage 2000 kit.

(...)

1. I don't expect them to listen.

Just expressing my concerns in view of the recently released F-5E. Kit options/content versus marking options = one big misleading clusterf***.

2. It's their job to get stuff sorted, not mine. Expecting them to use or even offering my "expertise"? The hell I won't!

3. Besides, calling in a bunch of evidentially competent experts during kit R&D won't necessarily result in a great kit. 

(The management might have totally different priorities and objectives.)

(...)

I take the liberty to repost the illustration you include on your No.13 post here.

In my mind, modifications to produce a Mirage 2000 C or a -5F or a -9 with some scratch work will

be to the reach & ability of the majority of modelers, expeption made of the cockpits that will certainly

be covered by aftermarket resin and/or photoetch manufacturers.

SharkOwl

6697936dc498d0489a4bb96abd282406.jpg

The "-5F" is only one member of the family,  I posted that pic in order to outline the basic differences between the 2000C and the 2000-5F.

Just take a look at the various and notably different wingtip or vertical tail RWR/EW fairings of the -5F, -5EI, -5EG, -5EDA, -9EAD. 

Purely hypothetically speaking...

Imagine KH came up with a baseline Mirage 2000-5F kit only providing the parts to build a -5F and a huge selection of decals and colourful marking options going the full monty of subversions and operators. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Of course some of the details could be replicated using some elbow grease and tender loving care.

Of course, poor modeller could hope for the aftermarket to chime in to remedy any "inconsitencies".

Worst case: Most of the options can't be built straight from the box without one or another form of extra input. Again, sounds familiar, doesn't it?

That doesn't mean anything. Maybe those folks at KH will eventually conclude that "less is more".

KH is pretty much like Las Vegas - what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

We won't know until the first test builds or sprue shots start popping up somewhere on the net.

But please, not another F-5E clusterf***! 

I, for one, will be perfectly happy with a "tiret cinq". The one below is all I want in my display cabinet.

RiKFCge.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

• 2 months later...

Song Wang from Kitty Hawk Models released a few hours ago these 3D digital renderings for her future project of a family of Mirage 2000 B / C / D / N at 1/32 scale.

As for the availability of the first model of the Mirage 2000 C (5-F?), The first planned for this family, as we are on June 19th, I would say that we should rather think of a commercial availability for 2019.

By the way, air intake panels are different from single seaters to twin seaters Mirage 2000.

Panels proposed here on the single seater are in fact those of the twin seater.

SharkOwl

Reference : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2104022806523000&set=pcb.2104023053189642&type=3&theater

017b82ebdcbb1fade0895ff47f182445.jpg

71b623114dfeffcfec53779623828c5b.jpg

95e6390719825bc8b9e8d633b84a8fd3.jpg

2559262f5ab77676bc705c18893d1768.jpg

67e1aa50aafce21af3c48b1d69cfc13b.jpg

Yeah, there is something about the look of the Mirage 2K.........................very pretty airframe...............and Im not really a jet guy! 

I've had a weakness for Deltas for as long as I care to remember; F-102, F-106, B-58, Saab Viggen & Mirage 2000, with the Mirage 2000 (Greek/HAF) being right at the top of the list.