Hasegawa Me 262 Aufklärer Ia

Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

Thank you for the comments, always appreciated!!!

She looks really nice Alain the epoxy you are using really does the trick. Don't loose interest mate this is a great build and very unique.

Guy

Thanks Guy! Apoxie Sculpt is a very useful product that greatly expands the scope of possibilities for conversions.

Things are really coming together with this one.  Beauitiful work on the engine nacelle and the intake and exhaust!

Looking forward to watch the progress to the finish.

Cheers

jack

Glad you enjoy the build Jack! I am happy how the engines turned out, now I am doing the rivets on those.

Just catching up on this excellent build thread Alain! Great detail work and a very informative build!

Dan

Thank you Dan for the kind comments!

Coming along very nicely!! I really enjoy seeing the old Hasegawa bird being pimped out!
Cheers
Alan

Thanks Alan, the Hasegawa kit is pretty good in shape, just a bit lacking in detail in the wheel wells. If I hadn't decided on a conversion, I would have kept all the very fine

raised panel and rivet detail. 

Now for today:

I am at a point where I can assemble the parts temporarily to show the model as a whole at last!

And suddenly today I realized I could make different version, while keeping all the work done already.

Here is the version I will now model:

You all know about the order to complete all Me262s as Schnell Bombers instead of fighters, but little has survived about another

order by the Fuhrer. After the projected aircraft carrier was finally cancelled, Hitler ordered all 262 to be converted as seaplanes to protect the fatherland against the RN and the USN.

Called Schnellwasserkampstrager Projeckt, an aircraft was converted to test the concept. Unfortunately, the plane was lost when the pilot accidently lowered the landing gear letting water in and sinking

in a lake in the Bavarian alps, to the relief of all involved!

Here is my conversion:

j3KBjO2.jpg

Note the Do-24 style of sponsoons and the raised wing to protect the engines from spray. And below you can see the low drag pylon holding the wing.

wuctMY7.jpg

Here is the plane during testing in the bathtub:

5hdSVD1.jpg

And yes, it did sink also when the water level rose!

Regards, 

Alain

Hi all!

Just couldn't resist doing that!

But it did look pretty cool... :hmmm:  :mental: 

Back to normal now!

I am tracing and riveting and I hope to finish this part of the work in the next few days.

Both wings are done, but I have to straighten them before gluing together. I have read all of Hasegawa's 262s have warped wings and this one is no exception.

Still a bit riveting to do on the engines, mostly on the right nacelle.

t4ks9Q8.jpg

80YujmF.jpg

A bit out of focus in the extremities, I'm afraid.

The lower centre section is done, and I kept all the kit screws, just scribed the lines delicately around.

4viVoa6.jpg

I had to fix a kind of bump on the fuselage (to the right of photo) which became visible when I scribed the lines going through that area. This is where the fairing of the canopy was so I guess it wasn't perfectly

removed at the start of the conversion. I am going to detail the panel on top to suggest it is removable to have access to the 2 new fuel cells under it.

yyQXOXF.jpg

Tomorrow I plan to paint the RLM 66 cockpit to finish the cockpit area.

I ordered masks to paint the crosses and number on the aircraft, as well as belts for the seat. should be in in about a week or so.

Bye for now!

Alain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

This is possibly the coolest build idea ever! I love the path you've taken now Alain, can't wait to see the next update.

Thank you very much!

Alain..that's real clean....BATHTUB!

:)

Thanks Shaka! It is my job to keep that bath clean at home!

Finally got the RLM 66 on (after doing the yellow for the wiring first).

oY8Az1L.jpg

WloFjBk.jpg

The instrument panel. Some little shape adjustments done during construction show up in the photo but are frankly invisible when I look at it...

ZeVQdpQ.jpg

Had a bit of a problem with one part after adding too much paint, so I stripped with Windex and recoated, using the extra paint on some 1/48 subjects...

I took the photo outside and the colour seems really pale but is OK in reality.

Obb85dz.jpg

DGbposx.jpg

Now I will do the detail painting and weathering to be able to close up the fuselage. I started to clean up the main landing gear legs but they looked a bit skinny and yes, compared to photos, they are something like 25% too thin...Might have to scratch build them  :( .

UWPFQ77.jpg

Bye for now, and I hope to have more very soon!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Looking good Alain, getting into the detail work now. All that lovely yellow wire. I wonder why an after market company hasn't come up with a small spool of yellow wire.... :hmmm: I paint mine like you also.

Your float plane looked very promising....would make a great "what if build"  :thumbsup:

Dan

Hi all!

Looking good Alain, getting into the detail work now. All that lovely yellow wire. I wonder why an after market company hasn't come up with a small spool of yellow wire.... :hmmm: I paint mine like you also.

Your float plane looked very promising....would make a great "what if build"  :thumbsup:

Dan

Thanks Dan! If anyone produced yellow wire in "1/48" and "1/32" size I would buy for sure even if in the end I use only a small amount of the spools. Meanwhile, painting is pretty easy...

The float plane really did look like some crazy German project from the end of the war!

I've been busy doing other things but I have put in some time to advance in the cockpit area. Still have to finish the instruments and little details here and there. I am keeping the white styrene around the rear canopy section until the clear piece is glued in place. I will trim after. The 2 white strips on the circuit breaker panel are cut from a letter on the kit decal sheet.

CKv8SAV.jpg

When I tried to add one  panel with wires to the inside of the fuselage I realized that all the details were glued one section back to their correct location. So off they came! 

eoTJH2U.jpg

The wings of the kit are warped (as they all seem to be). This will be fixed with these brass bars to be epoxied in place.

3ZaIrNa.jpg

This is all for now, but everything is falling into place to get this airplane in one piece pretty soon!

Regards,

Alain

Hi all!

The fuselage bits are all in place now:

b1M3pLP.jpg

The silver pipe is a bit of brass wire painted with Citadel acrylic, which is fantastic for small details.

yD2KwDw.jpg

Here is how I represented the fasteners on the wire loom. I used bits of lead foil wrapped around and fixed with a tiny amount of CA glue.

A bit of black wash was used once in place to define individual wires better.

5GWxuBw.jpg

Thank you again for watching and for your comments!

Alain