J7W1

fastzx

Are you going to bend up the propeller blades like in the video??? :rolleyes: What a cool airplane.

That was before they put the wheels on the verticle stabilizers.

That is the first time I've seen any footage of that plane flying or even running up the engine!

Never know what turns up on google or utube!

Specs say it was designed for a jet engine but even with the 18 cylinder radial it was supposed to do 466MPH!

I'M JUST GLAD I'M FINDING MORE DATA ON THIS RARE BIRD.

Jon

post-791-1238173029.jpg

Jon,

Do you have any good interior cockpit shots you could share? I was thinking of starting my Scratchbuilers kit of this bird but after playing around with it the fit of most of the parts is so horrible and the cockpit needs to be seriousily redone.

Mark H.

Jon,

Do you have any good interior cockpit shots you could share? I was thinking of starting my Scratchbuilers kit of this bird but after playing around with it the fit of most of the parts is so horrible and the cockpit needs to be seriousily redone.

Mark H.

Yes

Mark I will post some photos or email them to you directly

here is the panel for the Shinden

Jon

post-791-1238182230.jpg

Jon,

Mark H.

Loic has provided a fantastic link in his own thread, really worth a double look. HERE is the link to the J7W1 control panel page.

And the site j-aircraft.com is very useful as well. The walkaround pages HERE has, among others, interesting photos of the prototype Shinden at the NSAM Garber storage facility.

None of the sites has provided info for my own topic though! :angry:

Jon, great work on the Shinden. I will follow this one closely, as it was a really interesting plane ! :lol:

Hubert.

Jon,

Mark H.

...aah, you noticed huh? i had the same feeling/experience while dryfitting the kit, it is indeed a b$#@!!

oh well, it's indeed real scratchbuilding.... :lol:

J ;)

Yes

Jon

Mark,

since I never had the scratchbuilder's kit to start with I wouldn't know how bad it is.

I had a 1/48th scale built-up of the J7W1 SHINDEN but I sent it to Dave Thompson shortly before his untimely death begging him to kit an accurate J7W1.

I wish I had a 1/48th kit now to look at as there are some VERY complex shapes to the fuselage (the engine section and intakes as well as the wing to fuselage blend)

Dave told me that the Scratchbuilder's kit was pretty much innaccurate and I would be better off starting from scratch and any plans I could find.

Dave was an inspiration to me to get this ball rolling and after he passed I put it away for a while.

My start on this was similar to Loic's - I started with fuselage cross-section bulkheads with a centerline profile in styrene. Since I kew this was going to be a tail heavy design I incorporated car tire lead weights where I could in the forward fuselage between the boxed in fuselage cross sections and contoured LOTs of AB Epoxy putty to fill out the shape.

I constructed the engine section from a rolled styrene tube glued/epoxied and puttied to the wing planforms cut from an old 1/32 Revell F-14 swing wing with some extnsions glued on to the tips and shaped to mattch top wing plans. I tried to keep this section light-weight so I sufed crumpled aluminum foil into the spaces before adding curved styrene sections representing the air intakes close to the body. Other air scoops were made from spare parts bomb halves. The spinner is the tip of an F4 Phantom centerline tank, and each blade was hand formed from sheet plastic. The gear is aluminum tubing ans the tire are scrounged from the parts bin.

I made a master plug for the vac caonopy and sent it to Dave and he made several copies for me shortly before we lost him. I treasured his advice and encouragement and help to get me on my way to my first fully scratsch aircraft. I had always wanted a 1/32nd model of this plane now I'm almost finished - the devil is in the details though.

It would have been cool to be able to re-create the engine bay or 4 -30mm nose guns but to keep this model on it's tricycle gear I had to construct a nose heavy tail light model.

I still have a long way to go but as I refine the shape I like it more all the time.

Here is a photo fron the one stored at the NASM facility....I wonder why the don't restore this and the Horten 229????? they are incredible examples of genius design.

Jon

post-791-1238253174.jpg

Yes

Mark ther are some buids of this plane on Hyperscale and ARC that show the cockpit....it has a section behind the seat for what look to be oxygen bottles and an offset tubular pyramid turnover cage.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for all of the feedback. After I finish of 1/35 V-1 and V-2 and the Trumpeter E-100 tank I'll take a look at this kit again and make a decision one way of the other to build it. Maybe I should just chop everything down and make the squat leg/bubble canopy jet version?

Mark H.

Jon,

Thanks for all of the feedback. After I finish of 1/35 V-1 and V-2 and the Trumpeter E-100 tank I'll take a look at this kit again and make a decision one way of the other to build it. Maybe I should just chop everything down and make the squat leg/bubble canopy jet version?

Mark H.

Mark,

put some photos up of your shinden j7w1 as I have never even seen a scratchbuilder's kit of it please?

Of course I found this after researching some more -no date yet on release and will probably be close to $200.00 USD

http://www.coopersmodels.com/catalog/item/...919/6562609.htm

I primed the J7W1 white last night to see the shape much better.

I have alot of work to do around engine section and gear bays.

I also cracked open a J2M3 Jack to alternate between the Shinden and the Jack.

Deacl are VERY old I may have to try stencil painting all markings.

Will post pics soon.