1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"

airscale

bit of a hiatus on the P51 as I am off to Mexico for a few weeks for some R&R

see you after, when they have won the world cup lol

TTFN

Peter

Well slap me twice,throw me in the mud and call me a hog. 

Hacker

I think those aluminum sheet rolls from Home Depot are too "springy" and stiff for what he is doing (unless you can anneal it).

To anneal aluminum sheet like this, scrawl over it with a sharpie, then heat it with a hand held propane torch.  When the sharpie lines disappear, it's done.

If you melt it, throw it away.

Gaz

• 1 month later...
  • LSP_Kevin changed the title to 1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope the 3rd"
On 6/18/2018 at 10:50 AM, airscale said:

thanks folks, you guys are too kind :)

bit of a hiatus on the P51 as I am off to Mexico for a few weeks for some R&R

see you after, when they have won the world cup lol

TTFN
Peter

he been gone for a bit . wonder if he is in a mexican jail some where lol

Hacker

Dug through my image folder to see if I could come up with some references to help.

FFNqbSt.jpg

7bdt9ei.jpg

Radio rack from above

nJwWVll.png

radio rack from below and behind

84y9WcK.png

cockpit lefthand sidewall

THwJM9u.png

Frame Station 146, the A-frame as it is refered to. Sits behind the pilot and supports the cockpit roof. This view is from in front.

z4Amzrx.png

A-frame from behind

zsySy7D.png

A-frame from below and in front

JAgF2cl.png

view of the A-frame in place in the fuselage frame

7XGyuAQ.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 9:52 PM, NukerDan said:

You've probably seen this, but here's a 360° cockpit view of her:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156847319893623&id=192081688622

Well thanks Dan - I hadn't seen that, it will come in very useful thats for sure :)

On 7/30/2018 at 6:07 PM, rtwpsom2 said:

For those interested, the restored P-51C Lope's Hope the 3rd just won Grand Champion in the WWII category at EAA Airventure 2018.  This is probably the most prestigious award for aircraft restorations there is in the United States.  

Fantastic - I am so pleased for the guys - such an achievement and rightly deserved - thanks for dropping in with the news :)

On 7/31/2018 at 2:53 PM, rtwpsom2 said:

I'm new to the forum so I can't just like your comments, but I have read them appreciatively.  Here is a news broadcast featuring some good closeups of LH3.

Welcome! and thank you again so good to see some of the 'live' details in the airframe as they pan around it

On 7/31/2018 at 6:48 PM, Hacker said:

he been gone for a bit . wonder if he is in a mexican jail some where lol

Hacker

Ha! no, I am not in a Mexican jail, but more on that in a minute :)

On 7/31/2018 at 8:36 PM, Dan Paxton said:

Peter,

I know this is a bit late, but for shaping annealed sheet stock around a complex curve, would a 3D negative print be used to form the part?

Excellent work by the way

Cheers, Dan

Thanks Dan - that is a really good idea - I can think of a few areas where i need to make complex fairings etc where this would really help :)

On 8/1/2018 at 5:35 PM, rtwpsom2 said:

Dug through my image folder to see if I could come up with some references to help.

Well - these are incredible!! such a useful resource as it is the skeletal view that really helps form the mental image of the construction I am trying to replicate. That is so difficult to do from photo's so these renderings are so valuable. Rest assured they will be my go-to resource for the months of work to come.. :) I can't thank you enough ...

So, I don't have any work to post unfortunately, but thought a little update on my absence is in order as it has been a long one. First I went to Mexico on holiday, then when I got back my house is being remodelled including my workshop so my bench actually ceased to exist for a while! Then I have just got back from a few weeks in India on business for my day job so I am just starting to get my bench (& my life) back into some sense of normality. I spoke to Ray at Fantasy Printshop this morning & all the decals for Lopes Hope are nearly done so I should have those early next week, which should give me the impetus to start work again...

Missed you all & hope to be back soon :)

All the best

Peter