Lockheed EC-121R Batcat 1/32

Rogier77

Hello and good day to you all.

At first, for all the large scale plane lovers happy newyear.

After i saw the build of Ian his Early Warning Star i tought:"Wow, this is big and this is SUPER". So i order a Connie at Tigermodels.

Almost a year now it was parked on a shelf in my hobbyroom. I think it is time to make a little start now.

The idea is to build a EC-121R Batcat. A Connie that flew during the Vietnam war. The plane flew as a relay aircraft over the Ho Chi Minh Trail. A lot of sensors were dropped on the trail. The sensors send its signal to the Batcat. They pass the signal true to a base. This was a small part of operation Igloo White.  

My Batcat will be the famous Da Nang Glider. Plane number 67-21487. This plane had it's four prop's feathterd during the flight. The plane made a emergency landing on Da Nang airbase.

So here are some pics.

A Batcat over the trail

http://800px-Lockheed_EC-121R_1969.jpg

A pic. in one of the many books i have about the Connie

http://DSCN1982_zps0b6bade9.jpg

The body finaly on the workbench

http://DSCN2181.jpg

The main body filled with foam.

http://DSCN2348_zps15c5d93a.jpg

So this is it for now.

Good grief, for a second I thought the final image was of a french loaf / baguette……

…… I'll take mine with garlic butter please….. ;)

Nice work, look forward to seeing updates on this ambitious project.

:goodjob:

Edited by SinuheH

Guest Peterpools

Welcome aboard and glad you;re jumping in.

Holy Cow Batman a second EC-121 ... this is going to be fantastic. In my heart they will always be Connies ... nothing more beautiful

Keep 'em coming

Peter

What a great project! I wish I had the time, room and skills for something like this. I'd love to have a 1/32 Qantas Connie. I'm interested in the foam too. I recently used a water-soluble expanding foam out of a spray can on a project, but it never hardens, which is a bit frustrating! I'd love to hear about some alternatives that don't attack styrene.

Kev

Hence Q about the foam Kev - the two pack is the one to use as it's consistent all the way through and cuts nicely.

Completely different properties to the spray-can stuff.

I did use the spray (insulation) foam to fill the wings - but ended up removing it all...

Iain

Thanks guys for all the comments. I feel the presure already now. :fight:

I used the foam out of a spray can. It is realy a sticky stuff. Not great to work with. But it is only temporary. I will search for a better way to make a foam parts. The tail needs a little strengthening as also a small part in the front and middle. My dream is to build this bird with the lights burning and twinkle. Also the four engines running, with some crew in the cockpit. So that is a lot of work. But in this body you have space enough to put al the wire in. If you look at the great photo of Ian ( the Connie with its sharkmouth) you will notice that the emergency hatch above the wing is open. So i also need some model scratch work on these spots.

I watched the build of Ian's Warning Star. And like the saying here in Holland:"We like to watch the cat out of the tree". So i start with the tail section.

Ian a small question? My tail looks a little misformed. The left part is 2mm short or the right is 2mm to long :hmmm: Did you have the same problems?

Ian a small question? My tail looks a little misformed. The left part is 2mm short or the right is 2mm to long :hmmm: Did you have the same problems?

The tail was quite a way out - tailplane needed reshaping and all the fins are too short/out in shape!

Iain