SH P-39Q 'Spare Parts'

CANicoll

So FINALLY finished up Spare Parts and it reminded me, with all of that black paint, that I really need to work on my seams, canopy joins, etc.  But all in all, this was an interesting build of a fun subject.

The 'beauty shot' on a ZM base:

SXUd1Y.jpg

So the answer to how to vary the gloss black finish?  instead of going for various shades of black, used gloss and matte to vary the finish.  The antenna is EZ Line, with Vallejo acrylic filler for the white insulators.

xLJbOQ.jpg

NulAQj.jpg

mZeeDp.jpg

Wbc8Tb.jpg

The wingtip lights look overscale to me now that they are on the plane.  There are sanded down a bit from the sprue to remove a lip on the bottom, but they probably need another mm taken off.  Tamiya Clear Red and Clear Green providing the colors.  Was planning on doing a drop of Future, but these are nice and glossy as they are.

ju1rs7.jpg

Of course, the best feature of the P-39 are those open doors showing off all the cockpit detail, and also the resin exhausts.  I must admit, I like how the radio wiring turned out:

LQqYDt.jpg

hbIzIE.jpg

phyOXY.jpg

Since Spare Parts was put together in the field, I took the approach of a fairly new and clean aircraft, hence the pristine cockpit.

Thanks for everyone's comments and encouragement - This was a much better experience than the KH P-39, even if I did put my finger through the canopy!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll