1/35 OH-58D Kiowa *Completed*

BradG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate. The North Queensland Cowboys won the final Maru, but a single point in golden point extra time. Was the greatest grand final I've ever watched. I doubt I'll build or paint the doors, they'll probably just go straight to the spares box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've only masked the canopy up. As this one has the most time to completion it's getting the least amount of attention. Over Christmas I'll probably have it finished as all that I'm building at the moment has to be done by then and I'll have a  few weeks off cricket.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the updates about your build et al..

thanks Brad- Cricket..you play it..what   position ?

square leg. stumps ? :wicked:

Former wicket keeper - batsman. Retired from wicket keeping a few years ago with 170 odd dismissals, now I just open the batting and field in close; slips, gully, point or short cover. I've made nearly 5000 runs for my club.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a quite nice kit and if I'm right, as it is OOTB it makes a quite good replica of an airframe used at the beginning of the nineties, after Desert Storm. Sooner, they still had the early seats and partly painted windows in the rear doors. Later, they progressively got the new cowling, cut rear doors, new avionics, airbags, M3P, navsat, etc.

For an odd reason, I have yet to see one built as a "Prime Chance" operation bird. Similarly I have never seen a kit of the stealth nose variant used in Iraq. Too bad the aftermarket options are so limited! If you are looking for seatbelts, Eduard released a cheap set for the Kangnam Apache. They are not absolutely identical but besides Blackhawk ones, they are the only option as far as I know.

Cheers

Thierry

• 2 weeks later...

Test fitting the interior revealed that it doesn't fit, or more to the point, it prevents the fuselage halves from fitting together. So in frustrating, I started cutting parts off and sanding back the mating surfaces until it fits. Now, I think I'm going to have to sand down the instrument panel as it looks like it will be an issue when fitting the windscreen.

P1010024_zpswlstmlgr.jpg

I have done some more painting and dry brushing on the interior, enough that I could put the fuselage together. The clips look to be in odd positions, but it seemed to bring the two halves together fairly well, so if it's stupid but it works, I guess it's not stupid. Since it has needed a clamp, I'll let the super glue dry overnight to make sure it's well set.

P1010025_zps9vdgm3sy.jpg

Lots more gluing and sanding tonight. The skids were a real pain and they still aren't quite right, so that'll need more work. I also need to do a little more work on the mating surfaces for the windscreen, it's just a fraction off, but a little more sanding should cure the problem.

P1010001_zpsljhnjdlm.jpg

P1010002_zpshkbqygie.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cleaning up the joints with some paint and sandpaper. All looks ok. I also slapped some dust pigment on the interior so I'll let that dry overnight along with the future on the inside of the windscreen before cleaning up the excess pigment and gluing the windscreen on.

P1010007_zpsvgoilr4d.jpg