Westland Wyvern

Nic C.D.

this will help:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason2/wyvern_tf1/index.php?Page=1

also check out the 4+ publications book on the wyvern

*edit* also the 'from the cockpit' book although I'm not familiar with how many detail shots are in that one

Edited by richdlc

Thanks Peter! Looking at that photo, what a beast it is, isn't it?

I believe that the FAA Museum Wyvern is the only survivor, right? But, as Hubert said, this is a prototype with an Eagle engine. It has a completely different nose and by the looks of it, the tail is different too. I think wings, gear and aft fuselage are pretty much the same, so that helps a lot!

Ow, I remember reading a story a couple of years ago of one or more Wyverns buried on a former military airfield somewhere, but that might be some kind of aviation myth...  

Anyway: thanks for the info, I hope for more!

Nic

Well, it's done: the vacuformed kit has been ordered (jumping up and down - not easy to write when doing so) and I can't wait for it to arrive !!

Finding info won't be easy - I've got the 'From the Cockpit' book, which brings the story on the aircraft very nicely, but doesn't show that much detail, except for a few close-ups. 

Hans, thanks so much, I'll send you a message soon! And Tom, thanks for the encouragements! Let's hope an I.M. kit will arrive one day. In that case, I'll probably have a good chance of actually finishing one! 

I'll make a photo of the 1/72 Wyvern I did to show you the one I'd like to build. It's got lots of yellow and black stripes !

Nic 

That is a lovely looking Wyvern. Trumpeter, i presume? 

I got one well along in construction, when i had to pack my bags and take off for Southern California. I do want to pick it back up again when i get home... maybe for the holidays.

david

The 4+ book is, as others have said, a must-have for a Wyvern build. I wonder if the folks at Trumpeter had it in hand when they cut the molds for their kit.

Looking at photos and drawings, i dont think the Trumpeter Wyvern has enough dihedral in the tailplanes, but that's a fairly minor quibble which can be fixed rather easily.

david