What are we actually missing in 1/32?

airscale

"Missing" in 1/32? A whole plethora of subjects.

But, there are only a few that that I'd buy to build right now, and that have yet to be done or done right:

P-51B/C

La-5, -5F, -5FN

F1M Pete

Yak-1/3/7/9

D

Hi 

my wish list is too long , I should need 2 lives to build all of them .. I still have too many boxes waiting in the dust to be built ... I am only waiting for the next Do 335 .. but why not a really nice Mig 29 ?? or a beautiful .... can't choose !!!!......dreaaaaams that come reality ..... who is singing that song ????

bye Alain

Are you kidding?

In terms of WW2 we have the popular countries (USA, GB, and Germany and Italy) and single engine aircraft covered almost OK, and in some cases too good. Personally, I can live very well without 47 variations of the Me-109. But that is me.

What has not been covered yet:

1) Single engine aircraft: Much of the French aircraft, much of the Russians, almost all of the aircraft of the smaller countries, Poland, Eastern European, even Australia.

2) Multi engine aircraft: Oh my gosh, 99 % of the twin engine aircraft have not been represented, yet. Only one or two of the 4 engine bombers have been kitted. None of the transports.

3) Glaring omissions: The two most important aircraft of the Japanese during the first 2/3 of WW2: The Val and the Kate.

USNavy's Helldiver,  I am sure you guys can add more to this list.

Yes, many of the missing aircraft are available in vacuform, but I think there are very few of us who want to mess with those. The vacs require much time and most of us would have to develop the skills necessary to work with these. Most modelers are looking for a relaxing hobby, not another profession.

In terms of between the wars we have a few excellent companies who today are producing interesting aircraft in resin, plus the few American aircraft put out by the then forward looking companies Hasegawa, Monogram and Williams Brothers 40 years ago (all of these kits are still available in the second hand market).

In terms of WW1 we have Roden and now WNW - no complaints there.

Post WW2 aircraft are begin attended to by several companies, but only for USA and USSR aircraft.

My guess is that so far 10% of the WW2 aircraft have been represented by injection molded and resin kits.

We have a looooong way to go.

Stephen

So, I say we have just scratched the surface. Model kit manufacturers, get off your duffs and make a greater variety for us.

Edited by ssculptor

I'd love a decent Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest. (Any mark!)

I know there are resin kits available, but I don't think I would be good enough to make one of those (at least yet anyway.)

Edited by Shoggz

I'd love a decent Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest. (Any mark!)

I know there are resin kits available, but I don't think I would be good enough to make one of those (at least yet anyway.)

I have both the fabric, and metal wing Hurries from PCM. They are quite nice IM kits, and shouldn't be a problem for any modeler with average or better skills. The only diff between the PCM IM kits and a normal injection kit is really just the lack of alignment pins. NBD IMHO.  

If you get a chance, pick one of the PCM 1/32nd Hurries up, while not perfect, I think you will be pleasantly surprised, and will have no issues building either of them.

Same goes for the IM Tempest from PCM. Not perfect but a nice simple IM kit IMHO.  Also MPM is also scheduled to come out with another IM Tempest as well, that will supposedly, have both types of Temest cowls:

SH32049TempestMkV03_zps19f3cf98.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha

I only have one missing jewel in 1/32nd as far as Im concerned..................

tiger-trans.gifcat.png

lol I know broken record and all..............

You want stripe-y fur in 1/32nd scale?????

Ok, Ok F7F Tigercat

I gotta go with the B-24, the Ki-45 Nick, the Ki-46 Dinah, the Val and the Kate.

Mike

Wow!

I had no idea there were so many missing - here is a consolidated list - 85 pretty significant aircraft and 2 Heli's

..at least the list is shorter than it was last year which bodes well for the future!

LSP_zpsefe1cd39.jpg

some of these will be made in the next few years - I just wonder which?

Peter

Just an FYI, several of the items on several of these lists are currently under development by a couple of different companies.

I just hope that one of them is the 1/32 Bristol Blenheim before I go to the great modelling room in the sky!

Exciting times, regardless of what we get over the next few years I'm still a very happy bunny! :thumbsup:

Very Nice list, but no Polikarpov I-15, even if we have an I-153 and I-16. That one had a lot of Spanish Civil War subjects. The vac guys did that series decades ago in 1/48, along with the Ar-68. I guess that subject (pre war Luftwaffe) had significant interest back then. Fw-56, maybe?

I thought Silver Wings had the PZL P.11 and the Fokker D.XXI on their list, and Paul Fisher suggested he'd been thinking about an A-8 Shrike for a few years. (Buy some of his Ryans, please, and maybe he will do that one).

Unfortunately, most of the smaller ones will only be done in resin, but we might get some from the limited run injection guys. We just got an IAR.81 ... Wow!

Think small and you could add the XF-85 Goblin (which would look very nice near some Sparrowhawks). There's a Triebflugel in resin, so who knows what other crazy projects could come out (XP-56, anyone?)

Tnarg