Bristol Crocodile

karimb

A quick update, this kit has won 3rd place in the EDay IPMS 2018 Masters category for aircraft 1/39 and above !

333K8001-XL.jpg

333K7999-XL.jpg

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hey fellow LSPers,

I present to you my latest build completed around ten days ago. I did not have time to take photos between flights until a couple of days ago when i managed to grab an evening. 

The kit is wingnut wings's lovely Bris kit to which i have added a bit of scratchbuilding to bring up to speed. I started off planning on using OHM decals for the scheme but to my surprise the decals turned out substantially oversized for the kit parts. The decals were bought directly from the printer ( fantasyprintshop ) so i sent an email to Ollie here on LSP and was informed he was unaware of this issue. In all fairness i can say check your decals as i doubt this is a one off, but i'll give OHM another chance as i bought the brisfish version too (but haven't verified the size of those yet).

I ended up doing vector files of the whole scheme on the mac and then plotting the masks on the silhouette. The whole scheme has been painted on the kit along with all markings with the exception of the small bristol stencils. All paints used were MRP lacquers. The bottom of the fuselage received a slice of aviattic linen decals to give some variation between the linen textures around the fuselage. For the interior i scratchbuilt the wicker seat using brass rod framework and thick EZline to weave the 'wicker'. Some things i will do differently on my next scratchbuilt seat, but i am happy with the first try. Uschi woodgrain decals for the flooring. HGW belts for the interior fittings which were based on the DH9 belts which are the same type used. Little bit of scratchbuilding on the gun elevation mechanism on the gunner station in the form of missing pulleys for the retaining wires. The engine was painted with alclads and MRPs and weathered with oils and pigments. I left one cylinder in natural metal to add variation. The radiator shutters got the linkage and that linkage connected to the shutter control line in the cockpit. Exhausts are from REXx (thanks Mike for the recommendation!) and are really wonderful little jewels. Propeller got the leading edge foiled and riveted instead of painting the strip on. I decided to double rig the control lines and simulated the tensioning turnbuckles by cutting tubing to size, drilling the middle and adding a thin fly fishing wire to look like a retaining wire used to lock the turnbuckles. All weathering in general was done using various oils and pigments. All rigging was done using EZline and, of course, Bob's buckles for the tubing (thanks Herr Baron!)... 

I am sure i have forgotten quite a bit since that build ran from when i came back from MMS in April, so if you are interested i will add a link to the works in progress steps on my blog. Feel free to pm me or let me know here if there are any questions you have on any of the build's aspects. 

On another note, i will be going off the LSP grid for a while but will still be checking on everyone's amazing progress! you can either reach me by pm or by email for those of you who have my contact!

Stay safe as always and happy modeling everyone!

Karim

DSC03910-X2.jpg

DSC03918-X2.jpg

DSC03920-X2.jpg

DSC03924-X2.jpg

DSC03931-X2.jpg

DSC03935-X2.jpg

DSC03937-X2.jpg

DSC03942-X2.jpg

DSC03946-X2.jpg

DSC03949-X2.jpg

DSC03956-X2.jpg

DSC03960-X2.jpg

DSC03970-X2.jpg

Edited by karimb

I am in no way a bi-plane affectionado, but THIS is great work, love the sharpness of the finished model, very very nice, good show.

Jack.