Maj Lionel W. B. Rees, DH-2, No. 32 Squadron RFC

TimW

Thanks for the comments, guys! And yes, I have a couple of rigging diagrams I'm using.

I'm almost done rigging the wings...then trimming the loose bits, doing a bit of sanding and touching up and I can start on the tail section with it's scary booms and MORE RIGGING!!! :rolleyes: Also have to paint the fishing line I'm using as I'm not really happy with the transluscent appearance of it; other smaller sections I have used metal wire so it seems to be coming together.

I'll have pictures shortly...just been a bit busy and haven't managed to take any updated snapshots.

Tim W.

Also have to paint the fishing line I'm using as I'm not really happy with the transluscent appearance of it; other smaller sections I have used metal wire so it seems to be coming together.

Tim W.

Hi Tim,

Something I have done in the past is use the old Humbrol Metalcote polished steel to paint my fishing line rigging (I did this on my scratch built 1/72 Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard). I do not know how good the newer tins of this paint are, but once thouroughly stirred (and thinned if required), and carfully using suitable masking and a Q-tip cotton bud, gently apply the (very) thinned paint to the rigging. Once dried (which is only minutes at best), use a clean Q-tip cotton bud to lightly burnish and polish the polished steel paint.

HTH

Derek

Hi Tim,

Something I have done in the past is use the old Humbrol Metalcote polished steel to paint my fishing line rigging (I did this on my scratch built 1/72 Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard). I do not know how good the newer tins of this paint are, but once thouroughly stirred (and thinned if required), and carfully using suitable masking and a Q-tip cotton bud, gently apply the (very) thinned paint to the rigging. Once dried (which is only minutes at best), use a clean Q-tip cotton bud to lightly burnish and polish the polished steel paint.

HTH

Derek

I was planning to use metalizer paint as it turns out, but your idea sounds good--I may try it.

Tim W.

Hokay...this may not look much different from previous ones, but believe me it's an improvement! As I said earlier, the left lower wing came off completely when I managed to drop the poor kite while rigging it (arrgh). But what rigging I had done actually stopped the disaster from being worse than it was, I think.

I had to redo some of the wires, but not very many. I'm now almost done with the rigging on the forward section. Next will come the boom and tail/stabilizer assembly and all the fun added rigging that goes with that. I'll probably but the control cables on that run aft from the nacelle last, or close to last. Those will probably be done with metal wire instead of fishing line.

TimW

post-717-1263430222.jpg

WOW! :wacko: Very cool looking Tim. Couldn't help but see the Civil War titles (1861 Springfield profiles draw my eyes like a magnet. :)) and I was just reading about the battle of Stones River last night! One of the few battlefields I haven't visited yet.

Great recovery on the wing. I was amazed at how strong these WW1 AC models are when trussed up, compared to how flimsy when going together. Can't even imagine how these booms are going to be to get together, but it looks like you'll get it licked! Can't wait to see more. :popcorn:

WOW! :help: Very cool looking Tim. Couldn't help but see the Civil War titles (1861 Springfield profiles draw my eyes like a magnet. :huh:) and I was just reading about the battle of Stones River last night! One of the few battlefields I haven't visited yet.

Great recovery on the wing. I was amazed at how strong these WW1 AC models are when trussed up, compared to how flimsy when going together. Can't even imagine how these booms are going to be to get together, but it looks like you'll get it licked! Can't wait to see more. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the support! You caught me out re: ACW stuff. I'm also a board and sometimes miniatures wargamer (various eras). I have a very large regimental-scale game of Stones' River set up right now (covered until the next play session). My wife thinks I have too many hobbies... :shrug:

With a three day weekend coming up, I'm hoping to make more progress.

Tim W.

Things I learned while building this kit....attach the tail section to the booms first, THEN the booms to the aircraft. I followed the plans, which instruct the opposite, and I almost lost my mind. Another good idea is replace the kit booms with brass. I may have to consider this for any future pushers as it's a basic strength issue.

Mind you, you might lose some detail regarding the shape of the struts but I suppose that depends on how deft one is at that sort of thing (I'm not).

The rigging isn't done in any of these shots,but a large amount of it is. It's a mixture of fishing line and steel wire.

As usual, the Roden decals are lacking in quality--they are brittle and don't want to lay down. Be ready to either replace them completely or have a lot of solvaset on hand and be ready to touch up stuff that flakes off.

Enjoy!

Tim W.

post-717-1263765389.jpg