Hasegawa Fw 190A-8

Allok

RRP=$37.00 USD. (I think I paid about $6, available on Ebay for about $10 second hand)

Decals= $12.00 approx.

This model is one that I bought from Ebay with the intention of using it for parts. As it turned out, it was virtually complete, so I have decided to "Re-animate" it.

When it arrived in the mail, it was assembled (Well, sort of. The mailman had been playing football with it) But, as you can see, it is not assembled any more;

Pictures001.jpg

I will be using all the kit parts that are left, scratch-building the bits that are missing (or steal them from another kit), my usual masking tape belts and adding some nice new decals from Eagle Editions.

Decals have yet to arrive. Lets see if Great Models really are "Great".

First job is to remove all the paint.

As it happens, I just retrieved this same model from the attic after 30 years of exposed storage. The planes upper surfaces look so dark because it is covered with soot and dirt, but I think it'll clean up OK.

Good luck with yours.

post-4132-1199137540.jpg

Everyone is wishing me luck! Never a good sign.

All I really need is some paint stripper, some glue (I love the smell of solvents in the morning) and some little bits of plastic.

Cheers for the encouragement guys, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Keith.

Dear Allok: I always encourage a little model recycling...I have had good luck with amonia based cleaners for paint stripping, just help it along with an old toothbrush scrubbing at the little nooks and crannies...be sure to rinse off the solution....don't leave it soak too long or you rish warping the styrene...I look forward to seeing the 190 arise from the ashes, phoenix like into the "glow" of completed build status... :P

Cheers and Happy New Year...!!

ggc

If you need some parts, let me know, I just scrapped one, plus have parts from a second one.

Sabre

Cheers!

The gear legs are missing and the canopy is dodgy but I can scratch up some legs and polish the windows

If this doesn't work, I'll let you know.

Actually, I only bought this for the engine. Larry then sent me one so now I have two (mostly) complete kits with a new one on the way. This is the worst one by far.

I hate throwing things out!

I hate throwing things out!

I know what you mean Keith! The only reason I started my Zero rebuild was because it had to come out of the cabinet one way or the other, and the alternative was to trash it. I'm getting much more out of it this way, though I guess you'll have to limit your ambitions with your 190 build.

Kev

As it happens, I just retrieved this same model from the attic after 30 years of exposed storage. The planes upper surfaces look so dark because it is covered with soot and dirt, but I think it'll clean up OK.

Good luck with yours.

Still in better nick than mine. I think the original owner painted it with a spoon! (God, I hope he's not reading this)

Still in better nick than mine. I think the original owner painted it with a spoon! (God, I hope he's not reading this)

I was thinking something similar when I saw this one.. Depending on the type of paint, you can use oven cleaner or brake fluid if the ammonia based cleaners don't make a dent. You can also try 'Strip-A-Kit' which works great but is only available in the US. I'd start by really wetting it with Windex to see if that starts the ball rolling, then go from there.

Allok,

Oh what a problem we have tearing down that old built kit of a 190 or 109.It's the fun of redoing it with all the new and leftover parts some of have in the stash or where ever we hide them.But with what i have seen of the ones u have done.U can do it!And like Big Kev said.It looks familiar.Hey,That's what modeling is all about.Having fun.Larry

Paint stripping is under way and in some places, it is very thick indeed. You can see from the photo how the decals have protected the paint underneath. Now it looks like it's just been dragged out of a lake.

I might have to glue it back together before taking the rest of the paint off just to protect the old plastic.

At the same time, I am repairing some of the damage to the airframe.

I have also dismantled and re-aligned the engine and started making a few repairs in the cockpit. The pilot was glued to the seat (Quite securely!) and it was quite badly damaged. I wanted to keep the dished seat base but I have had to replace the seat back which can be seen in the pic.

Pictures002.jpg

All dry fitted at this stage.

Looking very good so far. What source did you use for the engine paint and detail? I originally did mine in black and dark gray with some detail picked out in silver. This was probably per the instruction sheet, which I can't find now, but it doesn't exactly catch one's eye. Yours looks pretty good.

Hi Keith

One item you may wish to get hold of for this old kit is a set of replacement gun bay covers (the kit's ones are too rounded). I only say this because firstly this is a very visible problem with this kit and secondly with the advent of the new mold 190 someone on this forum may be able to let you have a set (I would if I had a set). I think Cutting Edge made them.

Anyway, good luck with this rebuild, its not a bad kit, just eclipsed by the later rendition.

Matt